Dr. Boogey pcb size .

Started by Samy, May 03, 2006, 06:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samy

Hello.
I have a Dr. Boogey pcb in bmp format, i want to make this project but i don´t know the real size of the board to print it ! Can anyone tell me the pcb dimensions please ?
Thanks.

powerplayj

Sorry but I don't have the PCB handy.  Seems like I made it such that the resistor spacing was about .4 inches.  I still had a hard time fitting in the trimmers and a few caps.  Maybe some of the others will chime in.  pm Bucksears if all else fails.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

tskullt

Hi everyone,
   Does anyone have the link for the layout and pcb for the Dr. Boogey?  I searched and found some older posts but all the links were dead. (?)
Thanks in advance,
m.
http://www.pedalenclosures.com
* make all the other pedals jealous *

dandamantk

http://www.4thlevelmedia.com/stompboxes.html

thats were i found mine, but i dont think its actual size

mdh

I've been fighting with the scaling of pcb masks for the last few days, and what I would recommend is to get the graphic into a program that can display a grid and scale things. I've been using Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) under Linux, but it seems to be available for Win and Mac as well. A couple good rules of thumb are that the distance between adjacent pads for transistors (and certainly for ICs, though Dr. Boogey doesn't have any) will be 0.1 inches, and the distance between pads for a resistor is often about 0.4 inches, as powerplayj mentioned. It's probably a good idea to print it out on plain paper once you get it scaled, and see how well your particular components fit, especially trimmers. I etched a board the other day and forgot to test-fit a trimmer. I ended up having to bend the wiper lead out of the way and solder a short length of 24 ga solid hookup wire to serve as the lead  ::) If the layout doesn't fit your components, it should be relatively easy to edit it so that it does.

dano12

The one on http://www.4thlevelmedia.com/stompboxes.html is way to big.

I etched mine to the exact dimensions of the bucksears layout and it was a monstrosity.

I would suggest you open the bitmap up in your graphics program. Resize the image down in 5% increments. When it looks close, print it out on paper. Grab some of your caps and resistors for the project and see if they line up on the paper nicely. A bit of trial and error, but you should be able to get it just right before etching your board.

Finally, if you hadn't already planned on it, consider socketing the transistors. There are some interesting alternative types you can try and you don't want to have to de-solder them.

Connoisseur of Distortion

take your transistor sockets (i use IC legs) and see if they line up with the holes properly. simple.

but save your good paper! use some ordinary printer paper until it's scaled right!

Bucksears

I didn't know that it was so big on that size. I'll have another look at it today and see if I can fix it.

Thanks, and, sorry.

- Buck

powerplayj

Hey Man,
Don't apologize for sharing some of your hard work (and E-tabs')!!!  If you make any comments at all on your site maybe just include the actual board dimensions and that will help immensely.  Thanks again!
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Bucksears

Ok, hope this helps:
The image is the EXACT size of the board; meaning, the ground line that goes all the way around the board is at the edge of the file.
I did a right-click, save-as for this file directly from my site and then pulled the image up in Photoshop (as-is) and just verified the size that was showing:
2.727" x 1.44"
or
6.93cm x 3.66cm
or
69.26mm x 36.58mm

I don't know why it would be sized differently for another computer/printer; the image size should be written to the file. Every time I've printed it out, it's printed out the exact size to be used.
- Buck

Dave_B

Are you printing from your browser?  I don't think web browsers have any regard for a file's embedded DPI.  I seem to remember that they print everything at 72dpi, even if the file is supposed to be 300dpi.  That would certainly make it huge.
Help build our Wiki!

Samy

Thank you Bucksears ! It was really helpfull.
Next week i´ll etch my board and i´ll receive the components to make this cool stompbox.