A request regarding runoffgroove.com schematic symbols

Started by B Tremblay, May 04, 2006, 10:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

When I began creating schematics on the computer, both for my own use and to share, I decided to create my own set of symbols.  Of the DIY-fx sites I frequented, I noticed that many of the site owners had drawn their own set of component symbols.  I didn't want to have mine look like anyone else's, so I set out to design my own.

Now that a few years have passed and runoffgroove.com has become a somewhat well-known site in the DIY-fx community, those symbols have become part of our personality.  There have been occasions when builders have asked me for permission to use my set of symbols when drawing their own schematics.  I've always given my permission since I've taken it as a compliment, but I've since changed my mind.  I've recently realized that when someone else uses those symbols, the author of the circuit in question can be unclear to a reader.

In an effort to preserve the unique identity of runoffgroove.com circuits, I am requesting that schematic authors refrain from using my symbols in future artwork.  Please note that I'm not asking for existing schematics to be redrawn with different symbols.

Thank you.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

MartyMart

Fair point, I wont use your symbols on any future circuits.
Regards,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

I'm too bloody lazy to draw schematics, but just out of curiosity, would you like anyone who might have posted something recently with that visual style to redraw and repost?  Or were you simply thinking of a "from now on" arrangement?

Oh, and just to confirm.  My first impression of several schematics posted here recently was "Hmmm, how come I didn't see those at ROG last time I poked around there?".  So, I think your point about visual "branding" of ROG designs is well-taken.

petemoore

I have gone by 'site specific' symbols and fonts, GGG, AMZ and Fuzzcentral also  have 'personal fonts'...[thicknesses of lines, shapes of symbols and letters...AMZ's bypass switching is uniquely recognizable IR] I can remember where I saw something...that's a good thing...makes it easier to recollect and refer to where 'X' schematic was found.
  Certainly helps me to 'identify' in every case.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

vanhansen

That's fair.  I appreciate you allowing me to use them in the past. 
Erik

B Tremblay

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding.

Mark brings up a good question, as he often does.  Just to be perfectly clear, there is no need to redraw any existing schematics that the runoffgroove.com symbols.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

markm

Your request is understandable.
If I ever get to the point where I can draw a schem that's worth a damn,
I'll use my own symbols!!
Just wanted to say though, I've spent many hours at runoffgroove,
Love your site ;)
Thank you!

rockgardenlove

^w0rd dude!

Right now I have a Thunderchief and ROG's EA Trem being assembled...great job on the website!

WGTP

Well, that is what you get for coming up with such nice looking stuff.  The request is very reasonable.  With all the contributions you have made, that is the least we can do. 

I have come up with some of my own in Paint, and if anyone wants to use them, feel free.  Just open one of my schematics and cut, copy and paste away.  http://aronnelson.com/gallery/WGTP/AlteredMuff?full=1

It forced me to learn how to use Paint and I'm 1/2 way decent now.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I agree. Having some sort of embeded signature in one's published work is invaluable... Style, design.
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

phaeton

I also agree.  Circuit symbols and website coloration are how I remember where I first saw stuff....

I don't think B. Tremblay's request is unfair in the least.

Thanks for all that ROG is and does for us!
Stark Raving Mad Scientist