wah pedals prone to RF noise?

Started by SuperGeo, May 05, 2006, 08:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperGeo

Hello

My wah has an metallic enclosure, and it's grounded and also the rocker is grounded too, but when before an high gain distortion it generates loud noise and RF when on the toe down...

The wah is from an manufacturer from Brazil, I'm not sure if it happens with Cry babys and Voxes but many of my friends that have the same wah that I have complained about noise too

I wonder if the inductor has anything to do about it?

jonathan perez

oh yeah, happens all the time. and i since i dont get any help from anyone, i kinda just live with it.

the inductor definitely plays a large role.

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

formerMember1

supergeo,

Try running off a battery if it is humming...

or try turning the gain down a little on your distortion,.... and see if that solves it, if so, that is too much gain....

it is probably the wah circuitry,.. what brand is it?

you also might be talking about impedance issues which would mean using a buffer between the wah and distortion... try putting a boss or ibanez pedal between the wah and distortion for better wahing....

O

Would a ferrite bead after the input cut down on the rf interference?

waldo041

this was one of the most insightful WAH post's i have come across.
formerMember1 and a few other's really break down the wah circuit.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=42095.20

if you read formerMember1's post where he refer's to not using any transistor's over 420 hfe, you will be in the right area to help with rf noise. i had rf noise until i adjusted my trannies accordingly. in another post of which i cannot find, you will also read that you want to put the higher gain tranny below 420 in the first spot and the second around 100 hfe less in the second spot. methodically lowering the hfe of the trannies keeping a 100 hfe buffer between the two vastly eliminated my rf noise. so i had started with around 400 to 420 bc109b(?)
in tranny spot 1 and 300 to 320 bc109B(?) in the second spot and it really helped get rid of the rf noise. i actually dropped those values another 100 hfe with a 320hfe bc109b in 1 and a 220hfe 2n3904 in 2, which completely eliminated my rf noise and gave me the great sounding wah i still use to this day.

hope this helps.

peace,
waldo