Thunderchief mods question

Started by powerplayj, May 10, 2006, 08:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

1.  Where to find a 250uf cap...that's not electolytic, not surface mount and doesn't cost $8.00....  I'm trying to find one to make the input on my Thunderchief switchable.  I've tried Small Bear and Mouser with no luck.

2. Variac mod........what value pot would be a good start to choke down the voltage such that the FET collectors get ~2 volts?

Thanks,

Jason
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

powerplayj

builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia

Bucksears

I think I heard somewhere that someone broke down a tiny piece of perfboard and soldered a 220uF, a 22uF and a 10uF all in parallel and used that.
That'll give you 252uF (or just leave out the 10uF and go for 242). I think I just tried 220uF just to hear the difference, but that was so long ago I don't remember how it was. I gave up the Thunderchief, but I was trying to plug a Marshall eq into the mix without extra juice/amp stage so I'm going to try the Thunderchief 2(??) that officially includes the tonestack (on paper) but hasn't been officially tested.
- Buck

powerplayj

Would it matter that the 220Uf was an electrolytic?  I can't find any other kind of caps at a value that high.

Bucksears

Electrolytic should be fine as long as it's polarized correctly. (negative toward ground, IIRC)