Can't read schematic diagrams. Help.

Started by Stressed, May 12, 2006, 07:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stressed

I have been doing some reading but haven't really come around to making my own stompbox since I can't overcome my first hurdle: to read the schematic diagram. I can somewhat interpret the symbols for resistors, etc. but I can't make sense on how to connect the lines to one another. Can you guys help a newbie out?

Austin73

Hey stressed what are you trying to build? If you pic something simple and compare layout and schematic you'll see how to line things up. If not post some more info

Good Luck

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

markm

petemoore

Get used to reading alot, starting with FAQ, and to GEO, for all the other tons of good stuff you're going to want to know.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stressed

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to build a regulated power supply as a start and I'm using the diagram at generalguitargadgets.com since it looks simple enough. If I'm successful with this project I'll do some stompboxes.

Btw. this is the diagram that I was talking about:

gez

Quote from: Stressed on May 13, 2006, 03:37:03 AMI'm going to build a regulated power supply as a start

You don't know how to read a schematic and you're going to mess around with lethal mains voltage?!

Think again.  A really decent PSU can be bought as cheaply as £9 in the UK, you can't build one cheaper.  Get some building experience under you belt first before you go anywhere near PSUs.

QuoteIf I'm successful with this project I'll do some stompboxes.

Successful as in 'if I live'??
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

psiico

If you mjust build a power pack of some sort, start with a adaptor.  If you want 9v out use a 12v adaptor and build a circuit to clean it up and filter the noise plus regulate it down to 9v.  It'll be a lot safer using a wal-wart then messing with mains.  Do a search on here for a schematic for a clean wal-wart, I asked about it once and got a post.  You could also have a look at the datasheets for some voltage regulators, they have example applications that show how to use them.  I haven't built a clean wal-wart yet but my Ruby amp runs off 12v regulated from a 13v adaptor.

pyrop

Quote from: gez on May 13, 2006, 06:20:15 AM
Quote from: Stressed on May 13, 2006, 03:37:03 AMI'm going to build a regulated power supply as a start

You don't know how to read a schematic and you're going to mess around with lethal mains voltage?!

Think again.  A really decent PSU can be bought as cheaply as £9 in the UK, you can't build one cheaper.  Get some building experience under you belt first before you go anywhere near PSUs.

+1
My step-father's friend thought he could put a new mains plug on his tv.
Needless to say he is no longer with us because of it!!
Unless you know what you are doing with mains power, DON'T mess with it.
Stick with low voltage & build stompboxes.

pyrop ;D

Austin73

I can't agree more, I really don't see the point of building something that you can buy so cheap. For christ sake start with a Bazz Fuss or something its easy simple and although it has a killer sound it won't kill you!

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

RaceDriver205

Agree here about mains voltage safety. If you simply must do it (I was doing mains as a kid!), keep the plug out of the wall if the enclosure is open. ONLY plug it in if the box is closed.
If for some reason you think you want to put your hand near a live wiring system (hypothetically :icon_wink:), keep your left hand in your pocket - greatly lessens the risk of cardiac arrest.
Hope no-one calls me irresponsible for my advice!

RaceDriver205

Oh, sorry. To answer the real question. If you want to learn how to read the diagrams, get a good beginners electronics book from the Library - in general, they only have the 'beginners' ones.

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum! 8)

I also agree about the mains safety issue. There are a number of very simple circuits that you can get going with and still stay in 9V land.

The Bazz Fuss is an excellent suggestion. Also check out the Beginner Project section of this forum. There is enough info in there to walk you through building your first project and get you on your way to reading schematics fluently. It's not hard, it just takes some practice and finally it will sink in. One day you'll have the light in your head go on and it will become almost second nature.

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on May 13, 2006, 10:41:39 AM
Agree here about mains voltage safety. If you simply must do it (I was doing mains as a kid!), keep the plug out of the wall if the enclosure is open. ONLY plug it in if the box is closed.
If for some reason you think you want to put your hand near a live wiring system (hypothetically :icon_wink:), keep your left hand in your pocket - greatly lessens the risk of cardiac arrest.
Hope no-one calls me irresponsible for my advice!

Excellent advice! 8)

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

markm

Quote from: gez on May 13, 2006, 06:20:15 AM

:o

Austin73

Hey Racedriver, interesting quote on the cardiac arrest hand in pocket. Where did that info come from, I'm a Paramedic in the Uk and I've not come across that one but hey if it works! Also always check live wires with the back of your hand that way your muscles aren't contracted due to the current and then you can't let go of what 's killing you!

Aus

MartyMart

+1 on the safety issue here too :D
You can check a 9v battery's "life" by putting your tongue across it and the only way that
a 9v circuit can hurt you,is if you overheat a chip and burn your finger on it !

Main voltage is LETHAL ... please dont mess with that until you are very confident with what
you are doing.
My first proper "mains voltage fix" was a mic preamp (UK 240v with over 300v inside for the tubes )
I fixed it ( new transformer and some resistors ) but was VERY careful and took lots of advice
first .... !
I worked on it close up with power cable out and tested it "powered up" at arms length with a main voltage DMM
Bazz Fuzz or Tube reamer are great "first" projects BTW

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

RaceDriver205

Yeah, it was an old rule electrical engineers followed. If you accidently touch a live wire, and your left hand is touching something grounded, the current will flow accross your chest and through your heart (which is not good). Otherwise it tends to go through your arm and down through your legs - which still isn't much fun but definately better!

Stressed

Thanks again. I'll start out with making a dirt pedal instead to practice on.

Connoisseur of Distortion

some good advice on proper shocking technique!

i heard about a guy who had a taser and wanted to experience what it really felt like. He opted to shock his leg, and woke up in the fetal position later after the battery died. He had curled around the taser, keeping it operational and in contact with his flesh.

please be careful. it only takes one ideal mistake.

MartyMart

Here's a shot of when I narrowly missed getting "zapped" by 240volts

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/36531755

I was repairing my Park GR10 practice amp and had not noticed that the + cable had come
loose and fallen onto the casing.
Plugged it in and .... BANG !
Thank god that I was not touching the case at the time  !  :icon_rolleyes:
All but the main fuse survived !

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com