a quick question about PICs

Started by ingrowing_whale, May 12, 2006, 03:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ingrowing_whale

Hello,

I just need to know, why are most circuits made with logic gates rather than a pic. Is it because using a PIC would be like using an A-bomb to kill a fly? overkill?

thanks alot

The Tone God

Quote from: ingrowing_whale on May 12, 2006, 03:00:08 PM
I just need to know, why are most circuits made with logic gates rather than a pic. Is it because using a PIC would be like using an A-bomb to kill a fly? overkill?

In some cases yes. There is the cost issue involved (i.e. time, programming, equipment, skills, parts, etc.) And in some cases depending on the age of the circuit the PIC and other uC may have not even been availible.

Andrew

JimRayden

Quote from: ingrowing_whale on May 12, 2006, 03:00:08 PM
Hello,

thanks alot

Hehe, it isn't a bad idea actually. An A-bomb will wipe out the fly you're trying to kill and all the flies within the nearest 100 sq.miles. Draw your own parallels. ;)

------------
Jimbo

RaceDriver205

Yeah, sometime a PIC is an 'a-bomb' approach. In general though, most digital circuits are now implemented primary by computers. (PICs and AVRs are computers).
PS. 'ingrowing whale' is an insanely funny name

toneman

First there was Logic (chips).
Then, there were PALs, then FPGAs, then RISC PICs.
Each served the purpose of reducing the size/number of logic chips on a pcb.
The RISC PIC is a "state machine" that can function as *"descrete" logic* AWA acting as a "cause & effect" machine.
Sorry for soo many quotes   :icon_confused:
For more on the accronyms, see Google  ;)
Another term to look up would be "glue logic"   :)
BTW, PICs are consdered "microcontrollers"    8)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!