Help w/Ruby "Bassman" mod.

Started by scotsman, May 17, 2006, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsman

Grettings all - I'm about to build up ROG's Ruby and have one question.  I plan on doing the "Bassman" mod and it requires - removing the Gain pot and placing a 2k2 fixed resistor between pins 1 and 8 of the IC.  Now the question is how do I do this?  It it as simple as soldering the resistor to the underside of the board to the pads where pins 1 and 8 fall?  Or do I solder this directly to the pins on top of the board?  Sorry for the noob question - just want to do it right the first time!

DuncanM

Depends on what type of board you are using really.
I've seen mods done with a resistor soldered directly to the pins of an IC - OK as long as the leads are cut short and you're neat.
Going under the board is OK too, but beware of shorting things out - especially if you're using perfboard (veroboard).

Personally, I'd go on top and adjust the layout slightly to give you enough space to fit the resistor in - an extra row of holes should be enough to allow you to run the resistor across the "top" of the IC...

scotsman

So it's a simple as drilling 2 more holes for the resistor leads and mounting the resistor over the top of the IC such as -

Or stick it where the trimpot was or the pads for the gain pot?  I've illustrated above.

DuncanM

OK, nice board - easy....

EITHER, where the trim pot should be (resistor on end) OR where the gain pot pads are.

No hole drilling required.