easy to use graphics program for decals

Started by jeff g, May 20, 2006, 06:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff g

can anyone recommend an easy to use downloadable graphics program for relatively simple (I think) decal making  - like overlapping text on photos, changing text colour / fonts etc.

I downloaded GIMP but I couldn't even get started...

I'm not a computer whiz and I don't really want to spend alot of time learning complex programs

Thanks

Gilles C

I have more complex programs, but I always go back to Microsoft Paint for things like that.

It's easy to use, and does the job well.

Gilles

markm

I think you can use just about any photo program.....not sure.
I use Photoshop, Paint, and sometimes PictureIt too.

Connoisseur of Distortion

hmmmmm maybe Kidpix would be useful... you can make your own icons, which might be useful for pot dial marks and other stuff...

Dave_B

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion on May 21, 2006, 10:27:10 PM
hmmmmm maybe Kidpix would be useful... you can make your own icons, which might be useful for pot dial marks and other stuff...
On that subject, here's a handy link lifted from the Prodigy-Pro forum.  It lets you create a nice variety of pot marks and scales and exports them in an .eps file.  Be sure to scroll down toward the bottom of the page for the more complex variations.
Help build our Wiki!

Thanks for that!  ;D

what exactly is a 'point', though, in terms of a common unit? with that, no one would be safe!  :)

Gilles C

A point is 1/72nd of an inch. Fonts are specified in points, so a font of 72 points is one inch high. That's a standard in typesetting.

jeff g

thanks for the suggestions and link for the scales / pot marks

I'll probably try Paint to start and go from there

skiraly017

I use Microsoft Publisher with excellent results. Fairly intuitive to use and a lot of cool features.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

spudulike

I use Paintshop Pro to design the graphics, then Publisher to dynamically resize and print.

zeta55

Visit my site: http://www.zeta-sound.se/

The Tone God

Gimp, as much as I love it, is for photo manipulation not graphic design as much. For basic graphic work I use the Draw portion of OpenOffice. If I need something more I use Inkscape which is like Adobe Illustrator and the other SVG programs.

All of this software is free. Viva La Open Source!

Andrew

it's all coming together...!  ;)

but seriously, thank you. i have been using (with little luck) some dry rub transfers from a local-ish store. Not only are they flipping massive (like 2 inches across), but they don't transfer quite right...

People on this forum are great.  ;D

(then again, maybe i have this notion that all internet forums are like HC, and mxtabs, and craigslist, and...)