tone bender mkII sounds KILLER... more volume?

Started by nag hammadi, May 23, 2006, 10:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nag hammadi

what is the best way to get a little more output from my tone bender mkII (germanium) without screwing too much with the tone?

i like the sound i am getting with the volume at around 3:00 and the fuzz dimed.  but it isn't reaching unity at that setting.  when i crank the volume all the way, it gets better, but the tone changes drasticly.

any suggestions?

in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

petemoore

Edit...
  Mine reaches unity before 12:00, maybe you're using a differnt taper pot?
  How are the transistors biasing?
  Perhaps I'm not understanding exactly what's up with your TB, it should have lots of output and Fuzz above unity.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Skreddy

How can turning up the volume change the tone if you are barely at unity gain?  The only thing that could change the tone is if you are overdriving the input stage of the amplifier.

However, one way to increase the volume of a vintage style fuzz is to change the resistors forming the voltage divider at the collector of the output transistor.  In the TonePad schematic, this is R5 (1k) and R6 (8.2k).  Switch these two around and make R5 8.2k and R6 1k.  You'll get a buttload more volume.

Quote from: nag hammadi on May 23, 2006, 10:07:57 PM
what is the best way to get a little more output from my tone bender mkII (germanium) without screwing too much with the tone?

i like the sound i am getting with the volume at around 3:00 and the fuzz dimed.  but it isn't reaching unity at that setting.  when i crank the volume all the way, it gets better, but the tone changes drasticly.

any suggestions?

dansamp

are you using a 500k volume pot or a 100k volume pot ????

I think the stock shematic was 500K like a fuzz face
using a 100K will give you more volume
IIRC

nag hammadi

i will try both of those options and report back.

emanual
in the face of you all i stand defiant - subhumans

mac

When changing the 470R to 1K, some tweaking of the output cap maybe needed because you are modifying the corner freq., but only in the case you want to the same freq response given by the 470R.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84