What causes a volume drop in some effects and how do you fix it?

Started by skiraly017, May 24, 2006, 04:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Two effects off the top pf my head, the EH Small Stone and the Maestro Mini-Phase, both cause a signal volume drop when engaged. What causes that and can it be corrected? Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

TELEFUNKON

there mustta been a thread right here somewhere lately IIRC,
but I can`t seem to be able to find it right now.

markm

I think the Small Stone layout at TonePad was updated to include the mods to eliminate the volume drop but,
I can't honestly say.
However, there is some info on this within the project page itself + read the build reports there.
   MarkM

RickL

Both of these effects were probably designed to work with non-true-bypass spdt stomp switches which typically cause a bit of volume drop in the bypassed position due to the loading of the circuit. The designer probably built a bit of volume drop into the circuit to match the bypassed volume.

oldrocker

I'm having the same problem with the Big Muff I just built.  Huge volume drop and I didn't use any bypass circuit at all.  When I turn the amp volume up it sounds good but unlike some other stomps I built this one really kills the loudness.  It might have something to do with the sustain pot problem I'm having which is mimicking the volume pot.  I didn't solve that one yet. 
I haven't seen any other complaints about volume drops on any other message except this one.  Hopefully someone has an answer even if it doesn't fix my situation.

phaeton

Can one simply add another transistor stage onto the end of it, or am I just oversimplifying this and being ignorant?
???
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

petemoore

that's exactly what I did Phaeton. I have a volume control that goes well above/below unity this way.
  The SS is designed with a volume drop. Because above unity with the circuit as is is going to cause oscillation, the design will bring it to a certain amount below unity, because where that 'falls' exactly isn't exact, it is a product of parts tolerances.
  There are texts about which resistors can be fiddled with to bring it very close to unity. They are either @ Tonepad or GGG.
  I've not viewed or built a Meastro unit you mentioned
Convention creates following, following creates convention.