Korn Fuzz Distortion?

Started by ampp3, May 26, 2006, 01:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ampp3

does anybody know what kind of distortion or distortion pedal that korn uses in various songs.  the noise is heard midway through "reclaim my place" during "you think you feel the hate?".  the distortion noise is also in bbk, RIGHT after the wah beginning.  i have been looking and attempting to build a pedal like this, but have come up with nothing.  i also tried to build a square wave distortion, but for some reason it didnt work.  does anyone know what kind of effect im wondering about?

petemoore

I typed into the Big G "Korngear" and got this:
  http://www.angelfire.com/nj/karamelkorn/korngear.html
  And was quite surprized that there doesn't seem to be digital [my first thought], and that I know what alot of these effects are, kool looking setups...
  Anyway that should give you an idea, seems to be a korngearhead place to hang out for a time, my best attempt at a backwards K Korny Joke.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AzzR

I know that Munky from Korn uses an MXR Bluebox.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

trevize

i second that. i think that blue box is THE korn fuzz guitar sound.

warioblast

Quote from: ampp3 on May 26, 2006, 01:06:15 AM
does anybody know what kind of distortion or distortion pedal that korn uses in various songs.  the noise is heard midway through "reclaim my place" during "you think you feel the hate?".  the distortion noise is also in bbk, RIGHT after the wah beginning.  i have been looking and attempting to build a pedal like this, but have come up with nothing.  i also tried to build a square wave distortion, but for some reason it didnt work.  does anyone know what kind of effect im wondering about?

I'd say the "noise" during "you think you feel the hate" is the whammy.
Same with BBK. I believe they (should I say "he" now  :icon_frown: ) use the discontinuated XP-100 model.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Whammy-Pedal-with-MIDI-Control?sku=150171 listen to the 2 sounds samples. I think that's what you're after  :icon_lol:.

TheBishop

Korn use a home-made Big Muff with germanium transistors. It was built by their studio's engineer.

$uperpuma

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/519/ This was as new a rig as I could find for Munky... he probably uses the Big Muff and Whammy together for his octave downs rather than a blue box... as if A wasnt low enough...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Connoisseur of Distortion

i guess you have to make it heavy somehow...  ::)

ampp3

i figured part of their sound may have come from the whammy, i just wasnt sure how many octaves they went up, or what changes they made to their big muff pi.  but, if the germanium diodes was the only change, then i dunno.

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

$uperpuma

petemoore

I'm going to try out using my BMP for the gig tonight [Ge version just got toggle to stompswitch TB upgrade], I'll let you know how it goes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

AzzR

Im fairly sure it is the MXR Bluebox, Check The MXR website.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

$uperpuma

It very well could be...as the most recent info I had was from '99... It wold make sense... less tap dancing to get that sound...

RDV

Yet another thread where I expect to see a new circuit contributed by one of our members called the "Korn Fuzz" and it's another"How do they get that tone duude, and how can I build it?" threads.

*Heavy Sigh*

RDV

TheBishop

Google

QuoteAnd while Sepultura had a mountain of vintage effects to play with, ask Kisser or Cavalera which toy was their favorite and you get an immediate reply.

"The Bigger Muff!" Andreas enthusiastically answers. "It's a pedal that the owner of the studio built himself. It's an ugly pedal with no cover or anything, but it works great. It's a piece of wood with some electronics..."

"...and with a marker they wrote, 'Bigger Muff,'" Max finishes.

ampp3

i have descovered an effects pedal that seems to lean more tward the korn sound, and it was recently released by proco.  the pedal is called the proco deucetone.  if you do the "fat mosquito" sound demo, it has a very fat sound, and sounds much like korn.  could this be the type of sound (fat mosquito) that people are looking for?