String Damper Layout?

Started by RaceDriver205, May 26, 2006, 06:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaceDriver205

Does anyone have a copy of a String Damper PCB and layout?
If not Ill make one, so let us know!  :icon_biggrin:

Processaurus

Have you breadboarded it?  I was personally dissapointed with its performance, because the triggering was so poor, way worse than the slow gear.

I wish the Dan Armstrong Articulator effect had seen the light of day, that sounded like what the string damper was attempting to do.
http://www.pupshah.demon.co.uk/danartic.htm

Harry

Oh thanks for this post I was wondering if something like this existed.  :-* <-- Always love a chance to use this one.

RaceDriver205

Interesting. You mean it would fail to recognise the pluck and thus fail to fade up the notes?
Did you try different input volumes? Id be real disappointed if it doesn't work. I found the SG was pretty temperamental too.

Processaurus

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on May 26, 2006, 10:49:19 PM
Interesting. You mean it would fail to recognise the pluck and thus fail to fade up the notes?
Did you try different input volumes? Id be real disappointed if it doesn't work. I found the SG was pretty temperamental too.
Yes, it both fail to register notes, and trigger at unwanted times, so I gave up pretty quick.

It has an interesting trigger section, its different because its integrator based, so what it looks for is a quick increase in volume to say "thats a new note", rather than having a set threshold.  So the input volume isn't critical.  It was a few years ago that I breadboarded it, so now I just remember it not acting reliably enough to be interested in using it.  I remember the pluck sound you can get from it worked a bit better than the swell sound, and was sorta interesting for changing the attack of a note, making it 'pop' a little.  You can get the same thing with the modified release time on a dynacomp compressor, though, plus you have a nice compressor to boot. 

If you're interested, but haven't heard it, you definitely want to breadboard it first, rather than go to the trouble to make a PC board layout.  It doesn't take very long, plus you can try different mods easy.  Who knows, maybe it needs to have a threshold trigger too, that goes to an AND gate along with the integrator trigger.  Then use the output of the AND gate to trigger the envelope.  Or a better envelope detector? I dunno.

RaceDriver205

Ah ha. Thing is I much prefer making a PCB than anything else. Gets the job done faster for me, and If its cr@p then it doesn't get put in my multi-fx box. I recall the article saying the device needed to be practiced with for a while before you could use it fluently.

I think ill have a go at making it, and Ill see if I like it. Ill let u know how it goes.  :icon_biggrin: