BK Butler Tube Driver - disconnected wires - FIXED!

Started by O, May 27, 2006, 09:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

I just got a BK Tube Driver and the wires have all been disconnected/desoldered from the switch, jacks, etc. Does anyone have any gut pictures? This is the tube driver that has the 3 knobs (Out Level, EQ, Tube Drive).

I searched the forum and most of the links to the schems out there are no longer working (except for AMZ, & GGG).

I would really appreciate anyone's help with this pedal (I can't wait to get it up and running).

[edit]
Well, I figured it out. This is one great sounding pedal aside from the hum. I'm replacing the wires with some shielded cable I've got here to see if I can tame some of the hum. Has anyone ever been able to figure out a way to make this pedal a bit more quiet?
[edit/]

Ardric

Try moving the + end of C3, the 22uF capacitor, to the other side of the 1K resistor, so it connects with pin 8 (V+) on the opamp.  I think this corrects an error in the schematic and fixes the power supply filtering for the IC.  If you try it, please let us know how much it helps.

O

I'm in the middle of cloning this board so that I can make one for me (I'm repairing this one for a friend). I'll see if he's ok with me messing with the board (aside from the shielded wire which helped a whole lot).

Does anyone know where to get the pcb mounted preamp tube sockets?

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

O

I saw that one... I think it's for a chassis mount though  :'(

Satch12879

Just email BK, I'm sure he'd help you get it up and running properly.

Incedentally, just ordered one of his limited production Tube Drivers with the Bias Mod as I've been obsessed with the juiciness of Gilmour's On an Island; seems like a real cool and helpful cat and I can't wait to get the box.

Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

O

Is the bias mod just replacing the resistor going from pin 4 -> 5 with a trim pot? I want to incorporate this into the layout I'm trying to put together (maybe adding a BMP-style tone stack too).

I think the Tube Driver I'm working on is not the "good" one, but it sounds good to me. Thanks for the email address!

Satch12879

Not sure how it works exactly, but it's supposed to simulate the characteristics of different preamp tubes.  I'll see if I can take a look once it gets here.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

O