Digital Multimeter Trouble (Pictures)

Started by Herec, May 28, 2006, 08:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herec

How do ya work this thing?

I know how to work it, its just the instructional manual vacuums. The only thing I've figured out is how to test for conductivity.

It is a Commercial Electric Model HDM350 Digital Multimeter.

This is what I'd like to know (if anyone can tell me):

DC Resistance (or AC)
Inductance
DC Voltage (Voltage in general)

It has a "resistance and diode measurement", (doesn't tell you how to actually operate it) is there someway where I can do multiple diode checks and screw around with them to get a transistor's Hfe?

Thank you.

Dan N

Plug your black lead into the common.

DC Resistance (or AC)>  red lead into the second hole and set the dial to the nearest setting above what you think the resistor is.

Inductance> not an instant option on that meter.

DC Voltage (Voltage in general)> red lead in the far right hole. DC are the settings in the upper left of the dial. AC upper right.

Current> Left hole and lower left of the dial.

Diodes> Back to the second hole and set on the little diode picture.

>It has a "resistance and diode measurement", (doesn't tell you how to actually operate it) is there someway where I can do multiple diode checks and screw around with them to get a transistor's Hfe?

Not that I know of.

Hang in there, you'll get it figured out!

GWatts

Please take this poor multimeter back to the store! It is clear to me that you have NOT done your due diligence with respect to properly caring for such a delicate electronic device. The HDM350s are in too much of a global short-supply for you to just pick one up on a whim for the "coolness factor." It requires years of experience breadboarding and testing basic DC circuits before acquiring a  multimeter even becomes an option. I predict this little guy will be DEAD before the end of the month. May God have mercy on your soul.

jcgss77

@Gwatts-I think that encouragement is more in order  than the reply you gave.  We are here to help newcomers, not hinder them. 

@herec-Listen to Dan N.  That is what you will need to know to get started, then as you have been poking and prodding around in your most recent build, you will be able to grasp the funcionality of the DMM more, with experience.  Keep at it!

ayayay!

This has got to be some kind of joke, right?  This post is 5 years old. 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Gurner

The OP has his own electronics design company now.

willis11of12

I have this seem multimeter, and I am trying to test the capacitance of my outdoor ac unit, but I must not be doing it right, because no matter what I set it on, all I seem to get is "1."  Can someone tell me how to use this device to measure capacitance? 

I have the black on COM and the red on the symbol that looks kind of like a bent up horse shoe (forgive my ignorance on it's name), and then have tried turning the dial from 200k, all the way down to the "arrow pointing at a sidewise T," but I always get the same thing.  And I have done as instruction videos show of placing one line on the fan of the capacitor and one line on the ERN, but all I get is "1."

ubersam

Quote from: willis11of12 on April 30, 2015, 07:07:19 PM
I have this seem multimeter, and I am trying to test the capacitance of my outdoor ac unit, but I must not be doing it right, because no matter what I set it on, all I seem to get is "1."  Can someone tell me how to use this device to measure capacitance?
It doesn't look like it has a setting for measuring capacitance. 

QuoteI have the black on COM and the red on the symbol that looks kind of like a bent up horse shoe (forgive my ignorance on it's name)
It's the Greek letter Omega, which is used as a symbol for Ohms, which is the unit of resistance.

willis11of12

thank you for the quick reply.  Is there any other way to measure capacitance?  Probably not.  If I need to get a different meter, does it need to be a multimeter, or do they sell something cheaper that would just measure capacitance?  Thanks again.

ubersam

There are multimeters that have capacitance measuring capability, like the one I have. It's an Entech but I can't remember the model number off-hand. If you're planning to get one, be mindful of the range that the meter can measure. Mine, for example, has a very narrow range, from around 1nF to 100uF (I think). You don't have to get a multimeter though. There are dedicated capacitance meters, like the B&K Precision 810C, which has a much wider range than mine has.

But, for what you are trying to do, do you just want to know the rating of the capacitor in your ac unit? There should be markings on the capacitor to tell you that. If you can post a picture of the capacitor showing the markings, we could tell you the rating.

GibsonGM

Believe it or not, I find this thing to be as/more accurate than my DMM and more versatile (does many parts): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega328-Transistor-Tester-Diode-Triode-Capacitance-ESR-Meter-MOS-PNP-NPN-L-C-R-/171301738120?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e2611688

Won't give a rating for you, of course, but will accurately measure capacitance, diode Vf, identify many parts and so on.  A *real* LCR meter is expensive; this isn't.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

willis11of12

Quote from: ubersam on April 30, 2015, 08:30:53 PM
But, for what you are trying to do, do you just want to know the rating of the capacitor in your ac unit? There should be markings on the capacitor to tell you that. If you can post a picture of the capacitor showing the markings, we could tell you the rating.

What I am trying to determine is if the motor for the fan is going bad (it's overheating and shutting down), or if the capacitor is going bad (if the capacitance is more than 6% below it's rating of 5uF).  I don't know a lot about what that actually means precisely, just that from what I read, the over heating motor could be caused by the capacitor going bad, and I want to make sure I'm replacing the right part.

I did open the motor, and oil the bearings today, to see if that helps, and I'll probably try to turn in back on tomorrow to see if it shuts down from overheating again. I'm expecting it will, I'm just not sure if it's the motor or the capacitor.

greaser_au

Quote from: ayayay! on January 15, 2011, 02:12:23 PM

What's wrong with a Lazarus thread?  It's much more irritating when people do not do searches before posting; for example, we've had 2 or 3 wire threads just this week, asking basically the same question.   :)

david

karbomusic

Quote from: greaser_au on May 02, 2015, 05:33:20 AM
Quote from: ayayay! on January 15, 2011, 02:12:23 PM

It's much more irritating when people do not do searches before posting; for example, we've had 2 or 3 wire threads just this week, asking basically the same question.   :)

david

The traffic is nice to see which keeps it a forum with conversation and people vs. a reference database. :)

greaser_au

Quote from: karbomusic on May 02, 2015, 06:10:18 AM
The traffic is nice to see which keeps it a forum with conversation and people vs. a reference database. :)

I am a member of a handful of mailing lists and internet fora. This forum, and the Olympus OM camera mail list, are by far and away my favourites for *exactly* this reason - it's 'social' aspects are enjoyable.

sorry for the hijack :)

david