A few soundclipps

Started by syndromet, May 30, 2006, 09:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syndromet

I thougt it as about time to post a few soundclipps of some of my finnished projects.  ;D
I tried to make a box for recording, including Dragonfly's SSMB and JD's Easy Sim, but the output was actualy lower in volume than the clean signal. It also added some nasty clipping. This may be because I swapped almost all transistors with Values I had lying around. It also added some nasty clipping. I'll swapp them for the sugested values as soon as my next futurlec order arrives.

Anyway, the clipps are recorded with superstrat->effect-z soundcard. More info on guitar and effects can be found at Syndromet.com

Fuzztration.mp3
This is a knob-less Bazz-fuss.

Daddy o.mp3
My modded Dano Daddy-o at different gain settings, to show the range.

Piezo.mp3
The Piezo part of my superstrat
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

Basscapes

Hey!

Those things sound pretty killer!!!

I really like the Fuzzstration pedal-nasty.

You got a schematic for that thing? I' d really love to build one...

syndromet

the fuzztration is just the Bazz fuss from home-wrecker, and can be found here. The Fuzztration is the Rev.1 with a 2n5089, and it sounds really killer. I think this is one of the pedals everyone should build.

trevize

Nice clips! what kind of piezo did you install on your guitar? I saw also on your site that you did also a sustainer mod to one of your strats,
do you have clips (and the schematic) of that?

syndromet

Quote from: trevize on May 30, 2006, 11:08:28 AM
Nice clips! what kind of piezo did you install on your guitar? I saw also on your site that you did also a sustainer mod to one of your strats,
do you have clips (and the schematic) of that?
Hi.
For more info on the Sustainer, check this thread. Sustainer thread
I have removed the sustainer from the guitar, since it squealed like crazy. Guess I was a little to quick while potting the driver.

The Piezo is really simple. It's the gutts of a piezo-buzzer from futurlec (the one named Large Piezo Buzzer and costs 1$, hooked up to this preamp. The piezo element is mounted between the neck cavity and the neck. Sound pretty good, even better than the Graph Tech Ghost bridge I used to have on the guitar, and the cost is 2$ instead of 200$...

Harry

Cool for the piezo. I've been thinking about doing the same with my electric. Sounds good like an acoustic. Does that pre-amp allow you to use the piezo with the pickups? Also where'd you install the piezo/s?

syndromet

Quote from: Harry on May 30, 2006, 12:47:42 PM
Cool for the piezo. I've been thinking about doing the same with my electric. Sounds good like an acoustic. Does that pre-amp allow you to use the piezo with the pickups? Also where'd you install the piezo/s?
Yeah, it sounds like an acoustic. I mounted the piezo between the neck and the body, drilled a tiny hole to the open space behind the scratchplate and mounted the wires from the piezo element to the preamp. I've changed the second tone controll for a dpdt pus/pull pot, and wired it so it is switching the power to the preamp, and cuts the signal from the magnetics when the piezo is engaged. I was first planing to make a blend pot for the piezo and mags, but I decided I don`t need to run them at the same time.

Hope this made things a little clearer.

Harry

Had you tried mounting under the bridge first? Do you think there would be an impedance problem using that piezo/pre-amp with the magnetic pickups?

Also, Checked out your site and the franken-strat. Nice swamp-gas burst!

syndromet

Quote from: Harry on May 30, 2006, 03:08:53 PM
Had you tried mounting under the bridge first? Do you think there would be an impedance problem using that piezo/pre-amp with the magnetic pickups?

The clips were recorded with the Frankenstrat, not the superstrat. The paintjob turned out quite well. ;)
I tried mounting the piezo under the bridge at first, but I found the sound to be way to trebly. It also picked up a lot os noise from the strings, witch was the same problem I had with the Ghost system. I tried the piezo all over the body, and found it sounded the best under the neck. This was also the possition that needed the leats amount of modification to the guitar.

As for the impedance question, I don't think this would be a problem. The preamp lowers the impedance quite a lot, and I think that solves the problem. Only problem is that the preamp has a little to low gain, wich makes the signal a little lower in volume than the magnetic pickups.

You should try it. Very easy and cheap mod, and it works as hell!! I'll never remove the piezo. :icon_biggrin:

Sam

Quote from: syndromet on May 30, 2006, 11:01:39 AM
the fuzztration is just the Bazz fuss from home-wrecker, and can be found here. The Fuzztration is the Rev.1 with a 2n5089, and it sounds really killer. I think this is one of the pedals everyone should build.

Yeah, I love the Bazz Fuss. I've built several more or less modded varitations of it.
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

syndromet

I haven't built that many boxes yet, but I must say the bazz fuss is my favourite so far. And I don't even like fuzzes.....

Harry

Quote from: syndromet on May 30, 2006, 04:22:25 PM

The clips were recorded with the Frankenstrat, not the superstrat. The paintjob turned out quite well. ;)
I tried mounting the piezo under the bridge at first, but I found the sound to be way to trebly. It also picked up a lot os noise from the strings, witch was the same problem I had with the Ghost system. I tried the piezo all over the body, and found it sounded the best under the neck. This was also the possition that needed the leats amount of modification to the guitar.

As for the impedance question, I don't think this would be a problem. The preamp lowers the impedance quite a lot, and I think that solves the problem. Only problem is that the preamp has a little to low gain, wich makes the signal a little lower in volume than the magnetic pickups.

You should try it. Very easy and cheap mod, and it works as hell!! I'll never remove the piezo. :icon_biggrin:
Thanks, I will!

syndromet

I really guess you should find a preamp with a little more output. The problem might even be that the 250k pot is to small. I'll try changing it with a 1m, and tell you how it goes.

I've also added soundclipps of my bought effects on my site, if anyone is interested.

Harry

Thanks I'd appreciate that.