troubleshooting a charge pump

Started by powerplayj, May 30, 2006, 08:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

...that's right, a charge pump!!!

Anyway, I'm measuring from ground at the DC jack (not using a battery) to the positive lead exiting the pcb and I'm getting the same voltage 9.11V as the source.  The caps, diodes and IC look to be oriented correctly, no solder bridges to speak of, etc.  Are there any measurements on the legs of the MAX1044 chip that might lead me to the problem?

AS of now, the charge pump is hooked up to my newly built neovibe and this is the first time I have fired it up.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jason

builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Are you SURE the diodes are oriented correctly??

humphreyaudio

Quote from: powerplayj on May 30, 2006, 08:29:44 PM
...that's right, a charge pump!!!

Anyway, I'm measuring from ground at the DC jack (not using a battery) to the positive lead exiting the pcb and I'm getting the same voltage 9.11V as the source.  The caps, diodes and IC look to be oriented correctly, no solder bridges to speak of, etc.  Are there any measurements on the legs of the MAX1044 chip that might lead me to the problem?

AS of now, the charge pump is hooked up to my newly built neovibe and this is the first time I have fired it up.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Disconnect the Pump from the effects unit then meter it, and I bet you'll come up with volatge reading approachuing 17v.
I'm having much the same problem with a pump powering a newly built PT-80 echo. When I plug the pedal into an amp, I just hear the LOUD pumping sound   Pa-POP  Pa-POP Pa-PoP!!!
Sound's just like when you touch a 9v battery to speaker leads.
I tore my pump down and rebuilt it with a new MAX IC and all new diodes and caps, and same results.
I need some help on this one too.

Thanks,

MH

Jason

humphreyaudio

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on May 30, 2006, 10:44:03 PM
Are you SURE the diodes are oriented correctly??

Speaking for myself, The rings of my diodes are where the red circles are on the diagram. There arent too many ways to mess this build up.  I suspect a problem with the build of my pedal, because again I get the full pump reading once it's disconnected from the unit.

I did have a short early on, which heated up the Transistors, certain caps, the pump, and the battery kinda badly, so my damages may be having to do with that.

Thanks,  Sorry to hi jack the original post for my own use. I just see similarities here.

Thanks

MH

stumper1

Not sure if it has anything to do with your problem but...what voltage caps did you use?
DericĀ®

powerplayj

touched up a few solder joints AGAIN and it finally came alive...... and yes, I'm a lucky dog...the vibe fired up on the first try.

Thanks for the suggestions
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???