so i bought a breadboard, and i had this F'd up enclosure.

Started by waldo041, May 31, 2006, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waldo041

a radio shack out here closed it's door's, but had this great sale. i ended up getting a ton of parts and this breaboard only cost me $4.50.

the enclosure is one of my first. i drilled the hole's on the top for the in and out jacks but forgot about the pot placement. DOH! they will now fit any larger pot shaft's i may run into. it has a green ringer on it and i am slowly getting the led and 3pdt switch wired up. i think it would make a great DIY Stompbox Trophy! painted gold of course.

thought some may have a messed up enclosure around and may be able to use it like i did.

peace,
waldo

Noplasticrobots

Quote from: waldo041 on May 31, 2006, 12:39:32 PM

a radio shack out here closed it's door's, but had this great sale. i ended up getting a ton of parts and this breaboard only cost me $4.50.

the enclosure is one of my first. i drilled the hole's on the top for the in and out jacks but forgot about the pot placement. DOH! they will now fit any larger pot shaft's i may run into. it has a green ringer on it and i am slowly getting the led and 3pdt switch wired up. i think it would make a great DIY Stompbox Trophy! painted gold of course.

thought some may have a messed up enclosure around and may be able to use it like i did.

peace,
waldo

I have a messed up enclosure.

I bought some slide switches because they were cheap and didn't think about how hard it'd be to cut a square hole in sheet aluminum (without special tools mind you). I was doing pretty good with my dremel, but I decided to switch bits to see how another one would do; it toally shredded the otherwise straight lines and made it all burred and horrible looking. Sure the switch will fit, but it looks horrible.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

LP Hovercraft

Try buying yourself some JB Weld at the hardware store to fill in those holes.  Be sure to sand the repairs flush with the outside surface before you paint in order to make it look seamless(do paint your box, though as it doesn't retain a brushed aluminum look).  Then you could drill again for proper conventional pot placement.  If you still want to use sliders-you may need a specifically sized hydraulic punch (and bit) to accomodate the rectangular holes required for a slider switch.  If you call around to local sheet metal shops, auto machine shops or even hardware stores, you may get someone willing to help you out.  I believe JB Weld takes up to 24 hours to completely set, but man, it is solid!!  And no, I'm not paid to tell you this by Mr. JB.  ;)