My Fuzz Face idea? IC buffered would this work?

Started by finkfloyd, June 02, 2006, 08:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finkfloyd

Hi, came up with this:

Nothing new I reckon, But will this work? as you can see its three modules like this IC Buffer>Fuzzface>BMP tone Control.

Would putting the vref to ground on the IC buffer be ok?

The JH1 has mixed opinions, but i wanted to try one out, but will probably settle for the original circuit, I wanted to try one thats silicon npn based.

petemoore

Yes.
  I didn't look at the buffer page or opamp data sheet or 'wiring up opamps' page, but offhand it looks like an opamp buffer.
  Another way to try this out is to use a commercial stompbox before the FF, most of them have buffer in chain when in bypass mode.
  A buffer will tend make the FF sound...[word?]'Harder?', and the volume control on the guitar 'gain' effect will change...reducing dirt or cleanup at the guitar volume will no longer be possible, IMO this is where the cool FF stuff happens Ymmv :icon_neutral:.
  I have a socketted to the point of being a 'permanent FF breadboard' with Q2CR as trimpot..it is a perfboard FF 'testboard.
  That said, the FF section is certainly worth messing around with, values, transistors resistors and caps. Take a look at Axis Face, and Joe Davissons Fuzz Face Calculator.
  I put a wah before my Fuzz Face, it has a buffer, 'inside' the bypass..with the wah circuit.
  Another option is to put the buffer between the FF stage and the TC stage, the FF has inadequate output impedance to drive a passive tone control.
  Tone control on FF has been a topic here for some time, on and off, mostly off, and I haven't seen a schematic or approach that was deemed 'entirely successful'...perhaps I missed it.
  Here's something I find useful...FF distorts into Jfet which drives my EQ pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ge_Whiz

As Pete says, putting the buffer at the front end will lose you a lot of the essence of the interaction between the guitar and the fuzz face, and much, if not all, of the control over the fuzz effect. Also, the BMP tone stack at the end will cost you a lot of the output level, without a gain recovery stage. I'd be inclined to lose the buffer and use a transistor stage at the end - or use the same parts to build a Tone Bender, which comes to much the same thing.

Gus

does anyone look at the schematic section?

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/3tran.JPG

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/mbb.GIF

use a dual if you want an opamp

A tone control like that gets messy if you want to just use a vol control and no buffer between them

things to read about output Z and input Z also look for the tone calculator on the web

look close at my stuff every part and value has a reason from both math and ear/brain

finkfloyd

Thank you all for the info!, Much appreciated , The reason why I asked is that I made a PCB layout for it, built it and never could get it to work, must have made a mistake somewhere, so im gonna build it in 3 seperate circuits and see what happens.

I was going to put another buffer on the end of the circuit too, but i doubt it matters and probably a waste of components.

Anyway just built a standard NPN silicon fuzz with bc108c trannies with a hfe of 374ish each, sounds bloody good better than the PNP germanium fuzz i built to my ears!
Very nice sounding ;)

Cheers

Gus

You might want to try a buffer at the end.  Don't discount anything and don't believe what you read on the web until you test it yourself.

Now take the the end of the .01 cap to the tone and connect it to the collector of Q2 the tone control has loss.

try the values in the vox two transistor Fuzz in the fuzz section.

buffer after the tone and before the vol make the vol a 10K

in your circuit make the 1K a 10K before the ff part

Have fun

Sam

Why not just just build the Great Cheddar (clone of Lovetone Big Cheese)? It's an IC buffered FF with a tonepot and a few nasty goodies!  :)
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews