My idea for homemade vactrols-Plasti Dip!

Started by Noplasticrobots, June 05, 2006, 08:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

As I was building an UglyFace this weekend, I was thinking about better ways to make homemade vactrols. I haven't tried it, and I don't think anyone has thought of this yet, so here goes.

Shrink tubing works good but the ends still need to be sealed. Paint works good to block light, but it requires multiple coats usually. I realized some of that Plasti Dip rubber tool dip would completely seal off all light. Has anyone tried this or heard of it? Plasti Dip and it's likenesse are basically a liquid rubber that you usually dip tool handles in to give them a rubber grip. It air dries and last a long time.

I was thinking that if you combined the LDR and LED with shrink tubing or superglue, bent the leads 90° on both components and used the leads to dip the vactrol into the tube of Plasti Dip, you would get a totally light proof seal, especially if you used black. What do you guys think?

http://www.plastidip.com/industrial/plastidip.html
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

RaceDriver205

I recon its a cool idea. You could make a designated individual component, with four leads sticking out one end. It would look pro. You could make in bulk and sell them or something! (heaven knows VTLs are expensive).
Personally, i don't think I can get plasti dip around here, and i find heatshrink is enough.

Noplasticrobots

Where do you live RaceDriver? If you're in the U.S. Home Depot carries it.

markm

I think I've seen something called liquid electrical tape in automotive stores.....
same idea for the most part.
Great thinking :icon_exclaim:

Processaurus

black (opaque) hot melt glue

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/store/HMGS.html

Plasti dip sounds like a fun thing to have around the house, though.

Noplasticrobots

That's a really good idea too Processoraurus. The only downside I can think of would be the globs you'd have to accumulate to cover the vactrol, but I guess you could shave it down. I was gonna use hot glue to cover the ends of mine and paint over it.

RaceDriver205

Australia. We get your scraps down here  :icon_biggrin:

jonathan perez

yup, thats the stuff ive been using for years. works wonders!!

i also put it on the springs on the back of my floyd loaded guitar, not enough to keep it from bending, but enough to keep them from resonating.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Johan

why dont you just pinch the ends of the shrinktube behind the led/ldr, when the shrinktube is still hot?. that way it will stay shut at the ends without the need of any extra goop to keep the light out...

johan
DON'T PANIC

DEZREJECT

i had to fix a power supply once and i used that liquid electrical tape deal to finish it off... i got the idea from small bear... look at the way he made lil daisy chain power cables.. :) perfect way to cover the ends... unless u think duct tape just plain looks cool.. it comes in camo you know!

RaceDriver205

Can you make one and show us a picture noplasticrobots? Im interested to see how well it comes out.

Noplasticrobots

Johan, I did do that a couple times, sometimes it'd stick and sometimes it wouldn't. Then again I'm using Rat Shack shrink tubing so who knows what the deal is.

RaceDriver, I don't have any Plasti Dip right now but if I get soem I'll definitely post some photos.

Johan

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on June 06, 2006, 02:12:05 PM
Johan, I did do that a couple times, sometimes it'd stick and sometimes it wouldn't. Then again I'm using Rat Shack shrink tubing so who knows what the deal is.

you have to hold it shut, preferably with a pair of pliers, while it cooles. then it should stay shut

johan
DON'T PANIC

John Lyons

The Vibrato "roach" reproduction used fender amps does the pinched tubing thing. You could always use a dab of glue to seal it up as well.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

The Tone God

My curiosity wonders why you need to seal the ends ? I would think the final destination for the optocoupler (which is what they are called as vactrol is a brand name) would be inside a dark enclosure. Is there enough of a light show going on in people's pedals to affect the performance of a optocoupler ?

Other then for strength, which unless you are incredible hard on your effects, I can't see a major reason to seal the ends. In fact I like mine open so if need be I can repair it. Unless you have some fetish for your optocouplers to look "factory" I don't see the need.

I'm not slamming someones suggestion as it is neat. Just a few of my thoughts.

Andrew

phaeton

Quote from: The Tone God on June 07, 2006, 01:50:34 PM
My curiosity wonders why you need to seal the ends ? I would think the final destination for the optocoupler (which is what they are called as vactrol is a brand name) would be inside a dark enclosure.
Andrew

What Andrew said.

However, I've done the same thing using a short section of a barrel from a Bic pen (outside covered in aluminum foil), and more recently a similar black plastic tube that is at the center of rolls of dog poo bags  :icon_lol:  I used candle wax and electrical tape to close the ends off.  The rubber grip stuff might be great too, assuming you don't get a leak ;)

The tremolo I built just had the led/ldr out in the open.  The enclosed one I use on my breadboard.  I've meant to just take an LDR, bend the leads 90 degrees, and tape it directly to the lens of an LED to see if that works too, but.....   Oh look the dogs need to be walked again.
Stark Raving Mad Scientist