Another layout for a guitar buffer from Jensen

Started by Gilles C, June 08, 2006, 11:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilles C

Here is another one.

This time, it's for an electric guitar, and can be used for a DI box.

I began to build it, but I still need to find the 1% resistors and couple of other values I don't have to try it with a guitar.

As for the first layout I made from a Jensen schematic, you can try it without  the XFMR first, check how it works, and then add the XFMR of your choice if you need to,

Here is the link for a fast check http://jensen-transformers.com/as/as004.pdf

For the FET and transistors, I used a J113 and a 2N5086 which are the closest things I could find after comparing the specs.

It could be installed inside a guitar if you want to experiment with balanced outputs, or the circuit could be modified to be used as a simple buffer as withh the precedent Piezo Buffer.

The DIY file is on Bancika's site so it can be modified easily.

Gilles

zpyder

Gilles-

I don't understand how this circuit provides a balanced out... I don't see where the 3 XLR pins would hook in... Out Hi, Out Lo, Ground??  And what's Buffer Out?

I'm becoming exceedingly interesting in creating balanced XLR outputs... Either with transformers or without, it does not matter to me, as long as sound quality is maintained while cost is not exceedingly crazy.  Hopefuly that's possible!  ;)

If this is a transformerless circuit that provides balanced out, I'd sure like to know how.  Any info would be appreciated!

thanks & cheers,
zpyder
www.mattrabe.com/ultraterrestrial Ultraterrestrial - Just doing our little part to make new rock go where it should have gone in the late-90's, instead of the bullshit you hear on the radio today.

Gilles C

This circuit is the equivalent of the one with an opamp in fig. 4 of that article.

http://sound.westhost.com/project87.htm

The ground becomes the Lo (-) through a resistor and connected on one side of the transformer. The normal signal becomes the Hi (+). And the Ground stays the ground.

The Buffer Out is to lower the output impedance, and makes it available to feed the signal to the next input, or the transformer if it is used.

Gilles