etching conundrum

Started by turing, June 08, 2006, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turing

i think i just bought and tried to use the wrong type of etcher fluid.............i normally get ferric chloride solution, but maplins was out and i was desperate, so i got some 'pcb photoresist developer' - sodium hydroxide free apparently.
i've had a board in it at a strong concentration under the heat for ages now, and nothing. is it some kind of positive developer, which works the other way round to ferric?
what a drag

Mark Hammer

It doesn't do the etching.  It's developing fluid for turning exposed and unexposed parts of a bare photosensitive board into a visible layout patterns.  I think Maplin's wasted your money.

The Tone God

That is not etchant. It is used on PCB that have photo sensitizers which are then exposed. Afterwards to develop the PCB image the chemical you bought is used. It will not etch circuit boards.

Andrew

Edit: Ugh I'm slow today.

Mark Hammer

Yeah, but you've got that Vulcan mind-melt thing down pat!  :icon_wink:

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 08, 2006, 03:37:13 PM
Yeah, but you've got that Vulcan mind-melt thing down pat!  :icon_wink:

mind-melt:icon_lol:

Mark Hammer

Yeah.  It's like a tuna melt, only with less tuna and more mind. :icon_lol:

Mind-meld. ("Meld".  Now there is a word that may never have been used in the history of rock and roll.)

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 08, 2006, 04:29:15 PM

Mind-meld. ("Meld".  Now there is a word that may never have been used in the history of rock and roll.)

i couldn't help but check.  and it's a pretty short list.  here's what i found:

• Vulcan Meld by van der Graaf Generator (2005)
  • Mind Meld by Sebadoh, Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock (1992)

:icon_biggrin:

Paul Marossy

I prefer mind-welding myself.   :icon_mrgreen:

markm

Modern English 1983....
"Meld With You"
:D

turing

and for all you etymologists, 'meld' is a neologism, splicing the words 'melt' and 'weld' , and is still absent from many dictionaries. i will now go and kill myself for being such a geek.

David

Quote from: turing on June 09, 2006, 04:04:04 AM
and for all you etymologists, 'meld' is a neologism, splicing the words 'melt' and 'weld' , and is still absent from many dictionaries. i will now go and kill myself for being such a geek.

You're not the only geek - etymological or otherwise.  Your sentence is commuted.  Go in peace!   :icon_mrgreen:

markm

Quote from: David on June 09, 2006, 09:18:24 AM

You're not the only geek - etymological or otherwise.  Your sentence is commuted.  Go in peace!   :icon_mrgreen:

Fascinating!!
See, I learned something today!

johngreene

Quote from: gaussmarkov on June 08, 2006, 05:40:21 PM
Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 08, 2006, 04:29:15 PM

i couldn't help but check.  and it's a pretty short list.  here's what i found:

• Vulcan Meld by van der Graaf Generator (2005)
  • Mind Meld by Sebadoh, Smash Your Head on the Punk Rock (1992)

:icon_biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_(Star_Trek)

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

mdh

Except in the case of displaying a set of cards in a game such as pinochle, no? I always just figured that the "melt + weld" usage was just incorrect... now, this may well be the first mention of pinochle in the history of rock 'n roll!