Gus's NPN Boost: Multiface Mod

Started by boedonaldson, June 09, 2006, 06:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boedonaldson

Howdy all. Ive just finished building the NPN boost in the beginers forum and was thinking of adding this mod to the pedal so that it is like a multiface, with the second switchable tranny also having a gain control so i can create some variation on gain,etc. Sorry about the dodgy diagram but could someone please look at the pic and help me out and see if this would work. Cheers

petemoore

"Faces' [ff's] is a two transistor amplifier, one gain stage.
  Check out 'Technology of the Fuzz Face" @ GEO.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

boedonaldson

Im having trouble understanding that as im not very electrically minded, could some one fix up the diagram or something and show me how i would arrange the components on the second board (the second selectable gain stage that will enable the fuzz) Cheers that would be most appreciated.

petemoore

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm
  There's the whole shebang of FF Function, Filtered, Boiled and condensed, some study on how to read this may be needed, in the mean time gather what you can, study of basic transistor function and other topics included in the more technical portions of the decsription will help.
  Looking for the FF schematic...here ya go...I found this one...[if you have NPN transistors choose the Neg Gnd NpN version]:
  http://generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/fuzzface_sc_pp.gif
  Having two transistors working as a single stage amplifier with a *Feedback Loop [notice the 100k is between the output of the FF and the Emitter of the Input transistor], this re-inforces the input signal with an amplified version of itself, it is an option offered by transistors to get increased gain from a simple circuit using two transistors.
  As with the NPN Boost, one transistor can be a gain stage, coupling two gain stages, one after the other [in series], is another option to get high-er gain.

Yun

Mr.Boe, if you want a simple fuzz build with the NPN boost;  Build a Bazz-fuss and put the boost in-series with the Bazz-fuss. 

If it's a buzz-Box that your after put the boost in series with the buzz-box.

Here's the schematics for the Bazz-fuss and buzz box that i'm talking about:

Buzz box:

Just make sure that the booster goes before the Fuzz circuit.
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

boedonaldson

Thanks for that Yun,very appreciated. What circuit sounds the best out of these in your opinion?

boedonaldson

Another Quick one, how would you add a gain control to the bazzfuss circuit? cheers

petemoore

The volume pot on the Bazz Fuzz can be duplicated in the Bazz Fuss, on earlier stages of the circuit, the wiring is the same, but it's called 'gain' usually.
  wired just after the first transistor [pin 3] with wiper as output, pin 1 to ground, will reduce the amount passed from Q1 to Q2, or...before the ciruit Q1, to test how that gain knob would work almost exactly, the guitars volume pot is probably wired identically [though probably a different value].

boedonaldson

Ok, i have a little trouble understanding that, could someone please do a bit of a diagram of how i should do it. Thanks

Seljer

Quote from: boedonaldson on June 10, 2006, 08:49:35 PM
Another Quick one, how would you add a gain control to the bazzfuss circuit? cheers

On the regular 1 transistor bazz fuzz: Stick in a pot as a variable transistor at between bottom of the transitor (emitter) and ground in the circuit

http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/fuzz.html
the entire Bazz Fuzz page on homewrecker: http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

boedonaldson

Thanks for that, clear and concise, cheers

Yun

Quote from: boedonaldson on June 10, 2006, 08:36:23 PM
Thanks for that Yun,very appreciated. What circuit sounds the best out of these in your opinion?

In my opinion; i think that the buzz box sounds better with a booster in series.  Instead of that trebbly harshness with the buzz-Box alone; when you add a booster (.1uf input cap) you get a "real" buzz box. 

You can also add a tone control in there to control the textures of the buzz, which is really help-full....

Here's my take on the buzz-box minus the booster:

"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

boedonaldson

Ok ive got all that, now in switching it in series with relation to the NPN boost circuit, should i put where i have specified in the diagram or after (the output of the NPN boost circuit)?

Yun

Quote from: boedonaldson on June 11, 2006, 06:14:55 PM
Ok ive got all that, now in switching it in series with relation to the NPN boost circuit, should i put where i have specified in the diagram or after (the output of the NPN boost circuit)?

Yeah, the booster should be in series with the input of the fuzz/buzz.  So it goes:  From input---->booster--->from booster out put---->to buzz box input.