Tonebender MKII Ge NPN Breadboard Pics

Started by mac, June 09, 2006, 11:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac

This is my next pedal, a TB MKII Ge NPN.

Transistors are Texas Inst 2n388, hfe: 40, 50, 60. A llitle low but nice nice fuzz. I tried Matsushitas 2sd352 H with recommended gain but they are darker than the 2n388.

Caps are poly. Big but better sounding than electros and no aging issues. You can see a switch to hear the differences. Final version will have metal film resistors and a pot and external voltmeter to set the bias at 4.5V.
Possibly I will add a 250KB pot at the input, as in the Axis Face.

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

mac

The 10M resistor controlls Q1 collector voltage. I chose this value because it gives focus to the sound when gain is at zero.

mac

Yun

Far out, man. 

You should make a layouts gallery of bread-boarding.  That would help a lot o' people out....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Yun on June 10, 2006, 01:03:48 PM
Far out, man. 

You should make a layouts gallery of bread-boarding.  That would help a lot o' people out....

agreed! I am just about to take the plunge breadboarding (some plunge) but was curious whether the breadboads were like pad per hole, or strip board.  Maybe it varies from board to board?

great idea for a tutorial
Try a little tenderness.

Alex C

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on June 10, 2006, 01:09:07 PMagreed! I am just about to take the plunge breadboarding (some plunge) but was curious whether the breadboads were like pad per hole, or strip board.  Maybe it varies from board to board?

Here are a few pages with general information about breadboards and diagrams of the connections:

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/breadb.htm
http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?10

The first link even has a tutorial with a 555 circuit and a breadboard layout.

Yun

the bread board that i have is Kind of like strip board and has pad per holes.  It's kind of tricky.  Just check out those links that Mr.Alex posted.  By the way Thanks, mrAlex   :icon_cool:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

tiges_ tendres

I think those links are enough to get me going! I appreciate the pointers!
Try a little tenderness.

mac

Alex C

I should add that there are variances among breadboards, so be sure to check information and markings on the one you have (or the one you get), and test with a multimeter. 

For example, in the link I posted above ( http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/breadb.htm ), the power connections are shown like this, with two + rails on one side, and two - rails on the other:

On others I've seen, including mine, the power connections are like this, with a + and - rail on each side:

It's confusing at first, but once you understand how it's all connected under there, it's pretty easy to understand.

Good luck guys, and have fun!

-Alex

mac

Thanks Alex.

When I bought a couple of this the salesman at the store taught me how to use it in a minute. It's very easy, and very fast to test and mod projects.

mac