-- Not everyone has read this yet -- Please Read --

Started by Peter Snowberg, June 10, 2006, 12:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

Thanks for reading this. 8)

We would like to keep DIYstompboxes in a visually streamlined state for ease of information access. This means specifically that there are limitations on the size and content of both your avatar picture file (if used) and the sig lines at the bottom of your posts.

The specifications are available in this sticky post: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43235.0

The vast majority of users are within spec but there are several who are not.

I would prefer that people take care of things themselves instead of me having to constantly PM people. It always works best when we're all working together to develop our on-line community rather than just existing in it. Please help keep DIYstompboxes the special place that it is.

If you need assistance with making a smaller avatar image file, please just ask. I will be happy to resize any image for you.

Thank you,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

mikey

I was actually in violation by about 2.5KB.  Photoshop gave a bad estimate of file size when I made it.  It's fixed now.  If you have an avatar, double-check just in case.

Peter Snowberg

Thanks Mikey.  :icon_cool:

I'm sure not going to worry about 2.5K, but you now have a great looking avatar in less than 14.  :icon_biggrin:

Welcome to the forum. :icon_biggrin:

If anybody has a big file (over 25K) and does not know how to reduce their file size, just let me know with a post here and I'll be glad to make you a small file size version which I will then post for you to save.

R.G.

Why is it *exactly* that avatars are needed here at all?

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: R.G. on June 14, 2006, 01:40:20 PM

They are not, however the door was left open in the last forum software upgrade so it's what we have at the moment. I don't think it has ever been implied that there is any *need* for them. You'll notice I don't have an avatar or a sig.

I don't have a problem with respectable avatars that are confined to the 80x80 area with small file sizes but any time a possibility is left open to misuse, there are a small number who will misuse it.

Too much of my DIY building and designing time has been shifted to maintenance around here so I'm in favor of going back to simple.

cd

Quote from: R.G. on June 14, 2006, 01:40:20 PM

You can shut off displaying avatars and sigs in your profile preferences.  I do that on almost every single board I frequent.

The Tone God

There was a quick discussion about avatars and signatures when the forum upgrade occurred. Some wanted them and others didn't. It was decided to leave them in place as those who did not like them could disable viewing of them in their personal profile's forum view settings.

I for one disable all avatars and signatures as they serve no function for me.

Andrew

moosapotamus

Yeah, I'd be more interested in guidelines on the size of images allowed in posts. Having to scroll back and forth, left/right to read through an entire thread when just one post has an oversize image is kind of a drag. And, the scroll bars around the image perimeter are just as annoying, IMO.

cd - Sorry, can't resist... Did you know you actually have an avatar? Since you disable them, wasn't sure if you knew that. :P 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

cd

Quote from: moosapotamus on June 14, 2006, 02:53:46 PM
cd - Sorry, can't resist... Did you know you actually have an avatar? Since you disable them, wasn't sure if you knew that. :P 8)

Yup, just because I don't want to view others doesn't mean I can't floss a bit :-)  I still see my own avatar though.  I don't think mine is even 2k.  I put it up there when I discovered the "save to web" function in Photoshop.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: moosapotamus on June 14, 2006, 02:53:46 PM
Yeah, I'd be more interested in guidelines on the size of images allowed in posts. Having to scroll back and forth, left/right to read through an entire thread when just one post has an oversize image is kind of a drag. And, the scroll bars around the image perimeter are just as annoying, IMO.
~ Charlie
I agree. The need to scroll left and right on my big monitor is annoying without a doubt.

I'll see what I can do about that in the next few days.

Thanks for the input. :icon_biggrin:

nightingale

Thanks,
I ditched my avatar. I was over the limit.
Plus I am bumping the thread again.

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Peter Snowberg

Dave_B

I'm not sure if this has been addressed, but at least a few of the avatars are full-size images that haven't been cropped.  As Peter offered, so will I, if you don't know how to fix that, drop me a PM.
Help build our Wiki!

bioroids

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on June 14, 2006, 03:22:53 PM
I agree. The need to scroll left and right on my big monitor is annoying without a doubt.

Specially when the scroll bar is not right below the image, but at the end of the post! (so you need to scroll down to be able to scroll right, of course now you don't see the image you don't know how much to scroll, then scroll up to continue seeing the missing part of the image - at least that's how it shows on Firefox). That is pretty annoying.

Luck!

Miguel

PS: I have avatars/sigs disabled too, though I have a small text signature for those who have them enabled
Eramos tan pobres!