Higher gain boosters?

Started by simon111, June 10, 2006, 07:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon111

I have built the RangeMaster (using an OC44) a Mosfet Boost and also the Brian May (BC182L) Booster, and am wondering of there is a treble booster out there that has a higher gain than any of the above.
The RM has the lowest output level, then the Mosfet and the most is the Brian May model, but I still would like just a little more, as my amp is nicely overdriven, but I would like to just push it that bit more for lead breaks,

I am searching round for higher output booster's for that extra push. Do any exist?
Can you tell by just looking at the schematics?
And do higher gain (hFE) transistos = higher output circuits?

Simon111

RDV

You're going to run into the headroom ceiling. What happens is instead of boosting after a point things just get compressed &mushier until you're actually lowering the level rather than boosting.

Of course YMMV.

RDV

R.G.

... just a little more, that little bit to sort of push you over the edge...

:)

Higher output and higher gain are not the same thing. Every 9V powered effect is limited by the power supply to no more than +/-4.5V peak output.

Basic transistor circuits, like the RM, BMB, etc. come closer to the full 9V range than ones that use standard opamps, although "rail to rail" opamps can get as close as transistors.

To get higher output, you will need higher supply voltage. You may also need higher gain to use up that higher supply voltage,  but if the voltage is not there, the gain will only cause distortion in the booster sooner.

You cannot in general tell from schematics what the output voltage range is; although higher supply voltage is associated wth higher outputs.

Higher gain/hfe transistors have the potential for more gain, but again, more gain is not more voltage/output.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.