Dr. Boogey settings... maybe OT

Started by audioguy, June 12, 2006, 10:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

With so many people building the Dr. Boogey I thought it would be cool to see where other people are setting their controls- heres my fave setting... its a great metal sound-
Volume- 10:00
Gain- between 4:00 and 5:00
Presence- 2:30
Bass- 4:00
Mids- 8:00
Hi- 3:00

Q1 is MPf102 the rest are J201. This was the best combo that I found for my rig...

I havnt measured the trim pots yet... I just went by ear. Where should those numbers fall, and how should I measure them?

Take care!

Audioguy

RDV

I think you're going to find that peoples setting and voltages will be different. For example, my DB has a pretty low output so I have to run my master volume on it pretty high(well above 50%), but then I used an audio pot there. I was going along fine with mine and then that whistling thing started on the mid pot and the output went almost completely away because it was all oscillation. I had to redo the wiring routing which helped a bunch.

I set my values about a volt above 50% which seemed to cut the noise a little. I'm certainly not done experimenting.

I used Gringo's layout and values though I may change them. I don't really know the story of why they're different or which one is closer to the actual amp.

RDV

Bernardduur

I have the exact same settings (and setup btw); great pedal!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

audioguy

Bucksears

I'm rewiring my DB tonight due to a loose solder joint somewhere, but.......

My eq settings usually are:

treble - around 2-3 o'clock (right on that edge for a little bite)
mid - 50-75% for Satch/Vai/EVH stuff.......OR.......0% for 'that Recto sound'
bass - 75-100% for Satch/Vai/EVH stuff....OR.......100% for 'that Recto sound'
gain - around 12-3 o'clock for Satch/Vai/EVH...OR...100% for 'that Recto sound'
presence - 0% (once in a while I turn it up to 9 or 10 o'clock)

- Buck

Marcos - Munky

I just finished mine today, worked in the first try. I use about 50% for treble and bass, 0% for presence and mid, and just a little bit of gain. Mine screams a lot is I turn the gain up, but I biased the J201s to give a good gain.

hari

I have Dr. Boogey pcb, and still collect some parts. Before I solder it I have a question.

What about the noise? I hope its not to much.

thanks

peace...

Bernardduur

On high gain settings there is noise
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

audioguy

I havnt had too many issues with the noise. I set the trim pots to just under the squeal... an dat full gain its not too bad... with humbuckers and no computer monitors in the room.

Bucksears

Honestly, I've used an MPF102 for Q1 and the rest J201's and haven't had THAT much noise. With all J201's, it's noisy/squeals. I've found that MPF102 brings the gain down just enough to have a boatload of chunk and yet have lower noise.
I set all of my trimpots for 1/2 gain. With my Furman Conditioner, my Godlyke PowerAll hits 9.06mv, so I bias for around 4.52/4.53mV. No problems yet.

- Buck

audioguy

Marcos - Munky

Wow, then I need to get me a MPF102.

RDV

Be careful with the wires too.

RDV

audioguy

Maybe I've been lucky but I havnt had any trouble with the wire length... but I keep em pretty short from the begining to avoid any issues like that.

Bucksears

Ok. I finished rewiring my DB this weekend; the middle wire on the mid pot was not soldered in and that's all it needed. BOOM!
It's back to normal and I'm still floored by this design. The eq is the best of any pedal I have and it's quite possibly the 'biggest' sounding distortion I've ever had that sounds this good. It's right on that edge of being noisy when you max out the gain, but it's still very usable. Build one if you haven't.
- Buck