News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

LM3886 Amp

Started by MetalUpYerEye, June 13, 2006, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalUpYerEye

Hi I was reading on GGG and found this LM3886 amp. The data sheet said that it was capable of 48 watts at 8 ohms, is that true? How does the LM3886 amp sound? How would I come up with a 18v bipolar power supply? Could I use a wall wart for power?

The Tone God

These topics has been addressed many times. The function is your friend. Try a search criteria like 3886 and I'm sure there will be plenty to go through.

Andrew

RDV

Quote from: MetalUpYerEye on June 13, 2006, 06:15:57 PM
Hi I was reading on GGG and found this LM3886 amp. The data sheet said that it was capable of 48 watts at 8 ohms, is that true?

Yes, with the correct power supply.

How does the LM3886 amp sound?

Like a good solid state power amp, hi-fi and fast.

How would I come up with a 18v bipolar power supply?

You build one with a proper transformer and circuit. It will have a + & - DC voltage with much filtering(hopefully).

Could I use a wall wart for power?

NO.

Click on the SSguitar link in my sig at look at the WIKI.

RDV

Aharon

I don't think it would make a nice sounding guitar amp unless you want just clean.
I would make a nice pair of powered monitors,I have two of those chips just for that purpose.
Aharon
Aharon

Connoisseur of Distortion

i still haven't built mine... despite an abundance of materials, time, and planning.

who wants a distorted amplifier, anyway? this is a STOMPBOX FORUM... if we can't somehow figure out a way to modify a signal we're all in pretty deep.  ;)

Aharon

The chip has something called SPIKE which protects it in case of overload,overheating and it may include clipping, so it'll sound bad if used as a guitar amp AFAIK,I haven't tried it ,I'm just passing along something I've read.
Let us know how it goes,I'm interested.
Aharon
Aharon

RDV

You have to push them REAL hard to make the Spike protection activate.

With the right preamp they make a fine guitaramp and I have done it.

Here's a sample of the clean sound of mine.

RDV

Aharon

Nice.
Do you have some crunch or distortion?
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon

Joecool85

I also have a LM3886 amp, and I have yet to hit the Spike protection.  I got it loud enough in a 14' x 16' room with a window open that my ears felt like were going to implode.

**edit**
And as far as tone is concerned, it is excellent...with the right preamp.  The LM3886 chipamp is not a guitar amplifier, its a power amp section that you could use for PA, guitar amp, hifi audio etc.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

Aharon

Good to know,I would've thought that the SPIKE would kick in sooner.
Great
Thanks for the report.
Aharon
Aharon

RDV

It's a clean amp. I use a pedal.

With Transistor Obsidian.

With a BMP.

This particular amp has a clone of the old Thomas/Vox brilliant channel preamp with midrange booster so it's not the sound of just the amp. They're(LM3886 gainclone style poweramps) just clean sounding powerful solid state power amps.

These are recorded direct to Mp3 so they don't sound that great but the amp works well with pedals. I like building them, they make terrific stereo amps!

RDV

Aharon

That sounds great RDV,must confess I as skeptical.
You don't happen to have a nice PCB of the power supply to share do you?.
Thanks
Aharon
Aharon

Joecool85

He does actually, I just shipped him 3 lol.  If you want one, just sign up over at SSGuitar and I will set you up with an amp board and power board, no components, for $2 shipped.
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

Aharon

Thanks Joecool,I'll check it out.
Aharon
Aharon