VERO LAYOUT...the Phaeton Big Hare.

Started by Toney, June 14, 2006, 09:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toney

I was looking back through some old posts and I stumbled upon a great sounding 80's drive designed by Phaeton.
Here's the original thread............scroll down for soundclips.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=41835.0

Sounds like a worthy build, don't you think?
So here it is.....

And the schem...

Need to go into high gain pedal mode with this one; take care to keep lead lengths short ... it can occillate...perhaps shielded ins/outs too if it's an issue.

Enjoy  :D

MartyMart

Nice, I dig the soundclip definate "80's rock" thing !  :icon_lol:

Question:  just wondering why you reversed the C_B_E and put the collector furthest from the 9v strip ?
I would have had it at the top, emiter and ground connections at the bottom ...  :icon_wink:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Toney

I like em tight..... layouts too.

I did this last night after too much coffee.

It just came together that way...oh, I think I saved one line by squishing it this way.

phaeton

Excellent work!

I have that "I feel special" glow because someone vero'ed one of my hacks  :D

"Nice n tight" is definately the case here.  Have you built it on vero yet?  I'm curious how it turned out for you.  I drew up a speculatory vero attempt on graph paper, but I think yours turned out much better.  :icon_biggrin:  What program are all you guys drawing these up with, btw?

For the record, I've always considered slapping a 3-band Baxendall in between those two stages, but......time...work..etc...

:icon_mrgreen:

Stark Raving Mad Scientist

Toney

Program= microsoft paint + brain + coffee

phaeton

That's a lot of drawing, then.  If I remember MSPaint, that is.

mydementia

Hey guys - I vero'd one of these up tonight - SWEET 80's rock out tone - definitely.  My SPST doesn't seem to do anything.  In the schematic, it's referred to as the 'squisher' - it's adding two LED's...so I expected a softening of the clipping and more drive...am I missing something with this one?  Anyone else built one?
Mike

Oh yeah - I like 'em tight too! :P

phaeton

Quote from: mydementia on June 24, 2006, 12:04:37 AM
Hey guys - I vero'd one of these up tonight - SWEET 80's rock out tone - definitely.  My SPST doesn't seem to do anything.  In the schematic, it's referred to as the 'squisher' - it's adding two LED's...so I expected a softening of the clipping and more drive...am I missing something with this one?  Anyone else built one?
Mike

Oh yeah - I like 'em tight too! :P

Turn the drive and volume knobs all the way up.  Max it out, and then flip the SPST.  You'll get a tad more distortion, but it will mainly give you the 'illusion' of a tighter, more sustainy sound.

:D

Toney

Outstanding- we can call it verified, I haven't had a chance to build one myself yet.
Will soon.

mydementia

I tried diming both gain and level pots and engaging the switch - definitely tightened up the tone and cut the volume a TINY bit.  I used my Bassman Ruby (400mW of pulverizing power...into a monster 2.5" speaker...) for this test.  I'm not sure how to try this on a 'real' amp with other effects...maybe its own loop channel...

Fun and simple build - thanks Phaeton!!!  Definitely verified.
Mike

phaeton

If you want more effect out of that switch, put in some lower-threshold diodes, such as 1N4001, 1N4148s or even *gasp* Ge diodes.  In that order, it will get progressively more compressed and more saturated, and the volume level will come down more and more.

Glad y'all like it  :D

Baktown

I'm confused about the switching of the diodes.  The vero layout calls for a SPDT, so where does the middle pole of the switch go to?

Sorry about the newbie question, but I did try to figure it out on my own.

Axl Bundy

Toney

Hi if you look at the layout, the switch's two lugs connect at points marked "Switch a" and "switch b"..that's all there is to it. It's a SPST... oh i see I 've written SPDT on the layout. Ha, ok well just use a SPST or connect as marked.
This one is a lot of fun. Good on you for reviving it.

Baktown

I see!  LOL  I was thinking I was missing something!  Really, it was a test, wasn't it?  To see if anyone noticed!

Thanks forthe help, and I look forward to conversing with you more as I'm quite sure I'll have LOADS of questions...

Rock on!

Axl Bundy