Sludgiest pedal ever

Started by Cliff Schecht, June 16, 2006, 05:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff Schecht

So I finally stuffed the PCB I made of the original Meyer Octavia, threw it in a test box and plugged it in only to be greeted with the meanest, dirtiest, sludgiest sounding distortion I've ever heard. I don't know if I spoofed something (I wasn't even so sure about the shitty layout) but the octave effect is audible and noticable, but the coolest thing I've noticed is how quiet this thing is. When I stop playing, no noise. Whatsever. Maybe because my guitars are all wired so well  ;D Anywho, I'll post some pics and will probably have a jam recorded soon featuring this beast. Thanks Roger Meyer.

tcobretti

I just built mine, too.  I am pretty freaking impressed by it.  On mine, if the fuzz is all the way up the octave pretty much disappears and its just a really nasty high gain fuzz.  But then I can the turn the fuzz knob down (even all the way) and it cleans up and the octave comes out.  I've built two Mayer pedals - octavia and axis - and they are both pretty amazing. I used the vero layout I posted here a couple weeks back and it worked almost immediately, which is rare for me.

John Lyons

Most octave I've built are pretty "Sludgy" as well. Something about that octave up and that "stoner rock" sound.
The absence of noise is because the diodes actually cut off the signal below a certain threshold. you shoould be able to add a switch between the octave and just distortion. The octaveless setting has the usuall noise...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

bluesdevil

The sludgiest pedal I've built would have to be the Tycobrahe Octavia (Fuzz Central version) with the octave on/off switch as described in the previous post. A real doom/stoner monster!!!!
     I'm building the Foxx Tone Machine next, but I think it'll be hard to replace my Tycobrahe in the heavy fuzz/octave raunch spot.

"I like the box caps because when I'm done populating the board it looks like a little city....and I'm the Mayor!" - armdnrdy

Cliff Schecht

Quote from: Basicaudio on June 16, 2006, 11:17:57 PM
Most octave I've built are pretty "Sludgy" as well. Something about that octave up and that "stoner rock" sound.
The absence of noise is because the diodes actually cut off the signal below a certain threshold. you shoould be able to add a switch between the octave and just distortion. The octaveless setting has the usuall noise...

John

The only time noise is introduced is when another distortion is on, but that's something that's expected. I guess the thing really was designed well, as it seems to be at the perfect threshold, being that it works almost like a noise gate is in the mix. It has a certain attack that isn't compeltely natural sounding but seems to be almost perfect. I'm gonna build a more permanant painted version in a 1590C chassis and keep one down on the pedal board.