Stupid op-amp queston

Started by mcwilson, June 18, 2006, 11:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcwilson

I have a quick question about op-amps. I forgot to order one with the rest of my stuff for my Great Cheddar. The design doesn't specify the op-amp though... since I am quite impatient can I just pick up an op-amp at Radio Shack? Will this be really crappy? Should I wait and order one from Small Bear? Which one?

Thanks

toneman

RS should be fine.
Just make SURE the pinouts match.
Not *just* the number of pins, but what's-tied-to-what data sheet.
"Regulars" are 8pin = TL072/82   14pin = TL074/84.
There are many others....
If still not sure, come back and check again when U have some actual RS#'s.
Don't forget the sockets!!!
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

DuncanM

Looking at the PDF, Great Cheddar uses single op-amps - so TLO71's are probably in order if you're using a GGG PCB or similar.
And get three of them just in case... They should be cheap and easily available.

If you're doing your own layout and are going to use a dual op-amp, then get a TLO72 (or two)...

Unclerny

OF course that's if your local RShack still sells these parts.  Mine sells 741s only.  Good luck.

UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects
One Man's Distortion is Another Man's Reality

mcwilson

What is wrong with the 741s? They seem to have the same pinlayout as the GGG circuit board.

oldrocker

Yes I believe a 741 would work fine here.  The reasons the pinouts match is the Big Chedder uses a single opamp.  The TL072 is a duel opamp.  A duel should work if you just use half of it,  but watch your pin layout.

mcwilson

Do you guys recommend soldering them straight to the board, or should I definately use a socket?

Unclerny

Quote from: mcwilson on June 23, 2006, 02:30:57 PM
What is wrong with the 741s? They seem to have the same pinlayout as the GGG circuit board.
Nothing's wrong with the 741, I use them in the LiveDriver.  I was mainly commenting on selection.

Quote from: mcwilson on June 23, 2006, 02:48:09 PM
Do you guys recommend soldering them straight to the board, or should I definately use a socket?
Sockets rule.  This allows for chip swapping and you don't have to worry about over heat.

UE
Uncle Ernie's Effects
One Man's Distortion is Another Man's Reality

oldrocker

Always socket your IC's and trannys.