Stompbox Lighting/LED Setup

Started by sta63bmx, June 22, 2006, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sta63bmx

Looking for personal experiences, general thoughts, any suggestions on this topic.

I am building a 9V Electric Mistress from Bernarddur's project file as a present for my cousin.  It is going in a larger enclosure that's about 9"x6"x2".  The enclosure was a module in some kind of lab equipment where each module went in a little synth-style rack and plugged into a common backplane.  For my usages, the left and right "sides" of the module are perforated aluminum with little holes in them.  I'm bored with the "Hey, ha ha, I got a blue light, yo" regular old LED. 

I want to take two pieces of plexiglass that would cover those perforated vent areas, use a sandblaster or sandpaper to put a "frosted" finish on the outside of those plexiglass pieces, and them mount 1-2 LEDs on each side so the light goes into the plexiglass, bounces around, and then "lights up" the frosted area.  You know, kinda like the old fliptop Ampeg logos? 

Has anybody done something like this and could they offer me some advice?  I'm just gonna take some LEDs and plexiglas and fool around with it.  If the lights were hooked to the LFO and activated when the pedal was switched on, the whole pedal would glow at the same speed as the LFO.  Just try to tell me that wouldn't be freaking cool!  Especially in the dark!

sta63bmx

And for what it's worth, I'm going to just forge ahead this weekend and try whatever ideas I've got.  If I find something that works and looks cool like the glowing ground effects look I want, I'll post it up.  And if I find some things that DON'T work for me, I'll post them up to.

"Or we're gonna have a wedding...and THEN a hangin'...but either way we're gonna have some fun, eh?" -Robin Hood, Men in Tights-