Fender 2 button footswitch with LED?

Started by jjj333, June 22, 2006, 09:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjj333

I have a Fender reissue amp with Reverb and Vibrato and a flimsy 2 button footswitch without LED's that came with it to switch them on/off.  I would like to build one in a hammond box and include LED's to indicate if the effect is on or off.  Is there a way to do this? 

The wiring inside the footswitch with the amp is very simple--it looks like a shielded 2 conductor wire with one lead going to one pole on each of the footswitches and the shielded part of the cable to the other pole on each switch, and then being grounded to the enclosure.  Are these SPDT switches? 

To add LED's, I would assume that I would need DPDT's?  Also, how would I power the LED's?  with a 2.1mm 9VDC jack?  or would it receive power from the amp, as most amp footswitches do?

Could I wire it to have a switchcraft output jack and then just use a guitar cable to attach to the amp?

I searched the forum but could not find any info about doing this, but I am sure somebody already has to have done it successfully.

Thanks for any help in advance!

J.

DryRoasted

Yeah you got it.  I made a two switch pedal for my marshall a while back and its the same deal.  If you want the LED's you got to use dpdt switches and use either a battery or like you say an external power brick.  To be honest you might as well use a battery cos the LED's are not going to drain it too bad, and unless you like extra wires it'll get in your way having external power.  Obviouly make sure the jack and cable are both stereo !
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

blanik

i did one for my twin, i used a box (aluminium with plastic "sides covers" i don't remember the brand and i'm sooo 10 years ago that i don't own a digital cam... too buisy buying gear...  :icon_twisted:) pretty solid, i can jump on it... and i just used one 9V battery for the 2 leds... i think it's been around a year the battery's in there and it keep working fine... don't bother with the power supply

on my twin, the footswitch jacks were 2 RCA jacks so i had to drill a hole and put a stereo jack, i just jumped the wires from the RCA to the new jack...

R.