Rehousing and true-bypass on Ibanez Echo Machine

Started by karloff, June 24, 2006, 03:09:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karloff

Hello everyone. I'm new to the page and to pedal modification.

I have an Ibanez EM-5 Echo Machine that I would like to rehouse and make true-bypass. I've searched the archives here and found some things about doing this to a Boss pedal, but I'm not very good with reading schematics, and was hoping some of you may be able to offer some suggestions.

The schematic for the EM-5 is here:
http://img105.exs.cx/img105/7176/ibnzem50js.png

I've also read in some of the threads regarding the true-bypass mods on Boss pedals that a true-bypass box is a good solution, but as I am a gigging player, I'm primarily looking to rehouse for the sake of a more durable enclosure that's not made of plastic that will be stomped to pieces.

Thank you in advance.

cd

Remove Q1 and place a jumper in the old holes going from D to S.  That's all you have to do to hardwire the pedal "on".

Remove the input/ouput jacks and replace with the usual true bypass switching arrangement (see DIY FAQ link above for true bypass info).  Actually read both FAQs linked at the top of the page if you're new to pedal mods.  You will probably want to remove the cheap pots and replace them with larger ones as well.

The biggest problem is going to be the enclosure.  Unless you want to cut the PCB, you won't be able to use the usual 1590B, 1590BB, 125B or 125C enclosure.  A Hammond 1590J works nicely.  A 1590D will work but it's a bit overkill.  Small Bear's new 1790NS looks like it will work as well. 

karloff

Sounds simple enough! Thanks for the pointers!  :icon_biggrin:

Skreddy

You can fit it into a 1590B with just a little grinding of the edges of the circuitboard.  No room for a battery, though.  Very worthwhile project; I like the tone of the EM-5.

karloff

I don't mind not having room for a battery, since I'm using a One Spot power adapter on my pedalboard. Only thing that's putting me off is the crummy board-mounted jacks. I always seem to botch things up when I remove them to replace with better jacks (i.e. MXR reissues). Any tips on replacing them with less worry about damaging something?  :-\

cd

Quote from: karloff on June 24, 2006, 08:03:51 PM
Only thing that's putting me off is the crummy board-mounted jacks. I always seem to botch things up when I remove them to replace with better jacks (i.e. MXR reissues). Any tips on replacing them with less worry about damaging something?  :-\

If you don't already have a desoldering pump, get one, and practice on an old clock radio or some other piece of junk.  There's a lot of solder there but you should still get in/out quick.

karloff

I do have one, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of it. I'll see what I can practice on. Thanks again!

paperhouse

sorry for the old bump, but has anyone successfully rehoused one of these? does anyone have any more pointers?