Do people use the slots in slotted enclosures?

Started by Mark Hammer, June 28, 2006, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I've seen increasing use of the slightly larger Taiwanese boxes offered by Small Bear and other places (for some reason these are traditionally more often used by those in Britain).

These boxes have ribbing or slots on the inside that permit one to slide boards into them.  I was just curious if people actually use these slots at all for that purpose or do they buy these boxes primarily for the price and extra space.

audioguy

I use em... many of GGG's layouts fit well into those slots

Dirk_Hendrik

Nope,

Even better, I'd like em better without. Since I usually use the jacks tight in the case and then mount the PCB "over" them (and therefore avoid mechanical stress on the PCB-jack connection). The slots mean that i'll be some 3mm shortened in board space. For a simple TS or a booster of whatever kind this isn't a problem. For the arion SFC-1 i'm currently cloning into a 1590b case I need every single millimeter on the (double sided) board.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Arn C.

Howdy!
     I think I have used the slots, maybe twice in all my builds.   Like Dirk, I would rather have them without the slots.

Peace!
Arn C.

KORGULL

I wouldn't mind using them, but so far I haven't had any boards that will fit right in. When I've seen pictures where people use the slots, I think it looks neat. Most of my projects are built on the small, square perfboards that are too narrow to reach both sidewalls of the box.

ezanker

I have not used these slots yet because I generally use small bear's standard sized perf which is not wide enough for the slots.  I just choose these boxes because they are a little deeper giving me more room to stuff everything in the box.
EZ

bwanasonic

For larger circuits, consider splitting the PCB into two (or more) parts and fitting them into the slots. The slots can make drilling jack holes a PITA though.

Kerry M

Roobin

I do, as it makes placement easier, and you can use above and below to put pots/batteries, etc.

Mark Hammer

To add more content here, the ribbs may be useful for some folks for mounting boards, but they are a PITA when it comes to monting jacks on the side because of how they add to the effective wall thickness of the box.  What do you folks do about that?  (aside from grumble)

markm

I've only used the 125b enclosure a few times but, I'm not a big fan of it and I think it's just a little to tall for my taste.
Although, on the positive side, it's quite roomy inside and you don't have to bend down components when using this size.

Gilles C

I used these slots in a plastic hammond box. But I stopped using them because of the jacks problems.

So I prefer to use a standard box, and glue strips of plastic to add slots myself. It's easier to do than to deal with the slottes boxes.

Gilles

Doug_H

Quote from: Mark Hammer on June 28, 2006, 02:34:23 PM
To add more content here, the ribbs may be useful for some folks for mounting boards, but they are a PITA when it comes to monting jacks on the side because of how they add to the effective wall thickness of the box.  What do you folks do about that?  (aside from grumble)

The extra thickness really isn't a problem, esp if you use lock washers. I don't use/need the slots though.

Doug

gez

I used to use Maplin boxes years ago and they had (have) slots.  Dremel and a grinding stone was how I smoothed away the ribs round holes for jacks etc.

I used to use the slots, but they were restricting as they run vertically so your board can't be too wide, unless you use a high box.  Also, try running wiring over a board that's close to max height!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

KORGULL

Quote from: Doug_H on June 28, 2006, 04:10:19 PM

The extra thickness really isn't a problem, esp if you use lock washers. I don't use/need the slots though.

Doug

I haven't had a problem fitting the jacks in either. I've used Switchcraft open style jacks with the 125B box.

SolderBoy

Ribbed or smooth...  Am I on the right forum?...    :icon_eek:

Actually I've made a few builds where I've cut the circuit board to size so that it rests on top of those ribs (parallel to the top of the box).  The lid has a ridge around the inside lip that stops the board from shorting on it.  Doesn't work in all boxes.

SB.

Roobin

Quote from: gez on June 28, 2006, 04:29:02 PM

I used to use Maplin boxes years ago and they had (have) slots.  Dremel and a grinding stone was how I smoothed away the ribs round holes for jacks etc.

I used to use the slots, but they were restricting as they run vertically so your board can't be too wide, unless you use a high box.  Also, try running wiring over a board that's close to max height!

I make a template - did you know that the boxes are actually tapered?

Personally, I use the Maplin ones, bu have no problems - then again, I could just be doing it all wrong! :D

Doug_H

Quote from: KORGULL on June 28, 2006, 10:14:29 PM
Quote from: Doug_H on June 28, 2006, 04:10:19 PM

Doug

I haven't had a problem fitting the jacks in either. I've used Switchcraft open style jacks with the 125B box.

Good point. I forgot to mention I use the switchcraft open frame jacks too.

Doug