PCB??? How's it work?

Started by Leviathan, June 28, 2006, 06:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leviathan

Im really new at this. I havn't built any effects yet, and I'm still deciding on my first project but I had a question.

Doesn't PCB stand for Printed Circuit Board? How does that work.... Do you print the layout and use it for reference, or is there a weird way to use it to make a circuit?

Thanks in advance

bancika

Well it's board with copper traces and solder pads. Traces connects pads and act as a wire and pads are there to solder components to.
So PCB replaces bunch of wires connecting components. You can't just print PCB, it has to be etched. You start with blank board: epoxy (or other material) board completely covered with thin layer of copper and then etch everything but pads and traces.
Any clearer?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

RaceDriver205

I would suggest you first build a kit from somewhere. I dont know where in the world u live so I can't really recommend a store. Electronics stores in Australia have kits like electronic dice and simple timers etc which would show you how the circuit board is used to make a circuit. Youd also get some experience soldering.

Leviathan

Thanks for the info :)

I think I'm just going to leave that one alone for now and solder wires and leads to components on perfboard. PCB sounds a little too complicated for me lol

I live in Sequim, Washington, and pretty-much all we have it a RadioShack (NOT closing down, darn-it)

I'm thinking of getting the Tweak-O kit from SmallBearElectronics. Is this a good idea for me? I really want to get into building stompboxes and modding guitar electronics.

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Leviathan on June 28, 2006, 07:50:22 PM
Thanks for the info :)

I think I'm just going to leave that one alone for now and solder wires and leads to components on perfboard. PCB sounds a little too complicated for me lol

I live in Sequim, Washington, and pretty-much all we have it a RadioShack (NOT closing down, darn-it)

I'm thinking of getting the Tweak-O kit from SmallBearElectronics. Is this a good idea for me? I really want to get into building stompboxes and modding guitar electronics.

There are some good sites that sell kits.  http://www.buildyourownclone.com
also you can try http://olcircuits.com  they have circuits for projects on runoffgroove.com
Try a little tenderness.

Leviathan

smallbearelec

Good News/Bad News: You have choices! They are all good, and they will take you in different directions.

--The Tweak-O kit is one choice. It is a (practically) foolproof way to end up with a gig-worthy pedal while learning the ins-and-outs of hand-tooling both enclosure and perfboard. This is all valuable. Everything you need is in the package, so there's no extra shopping.

--Buy a ready-to-solder PC board from GeneralGuitarGadgets or Tonepad for a basic boost of some kind. I agree that making your own board is not a good idea for a first build--too steep a learning curve. But if if a ready-made board is out there for a simple design that intrigues you, go for it.

--Buy a solderless breadboard, and the parts for some of the very tweakable ideas at Runoffgroove. The breadboard is very forgiving about letting you try a circuit, change component values and see whether you like the result. Then you can build on perfboard.

Most people wind up going all of these routes at some point. Happy Construction!

SD

RaceDriver205

Seriously, Lev, buy a kit complete with PCB.
PCBs are only hard to make, they are by far the easiest to assemble, and you have the lowest chance of the circuit failing (especially as a beginner). Of course, do choose a simple one. Distortions can be nice and simple.
I would also say don't go near breadboards, I can't imagine anyone wanting to invest the time required to implement a circuit on one of those.

netnut

Hey Lev,
If you ever find yourself on the Eastside, let me know and we can get together and I can show you a few things about building, etching and stuff. I am over in Snohomish.

I started out with a few builds on perfboard and got real tired of debugging them. PCB is the way to go. I have done 4 (Ruby, Tube Reamer, Multi-Face, Tube Screamer) in the last two weeks on boards I etched using Toner Transfer and they all fired up and ran the first time. No debugging required.

The next build I am contemplating is the Stage Center Reverb to go in front of my Epi Valve Jr.

Bryan
My Projects and Blog: http://www.schremp.net

Leviathan

Wow you guys are all VERY helpful. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

I think I'm going to try and build off of pre-built boards for a while until I learn more about circuits and get better at my soldering skillz.
Smallbear, I am also very interested in the Tweak-O. I will probably have that be a later project when I am good enough to add a few more features :)

I have a lot of questions a lot of the time, so if anyone is willing to answer questions and guide me through projects useing PM's please let me know.

Thanks again everyone :)

Connoisseur of Distortion

Washington calling in!

La Center, near Portland OR

rockgardenlove

^I'm here representing Portland, OR!

I built a simple booster on perfboard for my first project, worked out well.  A premade PCB is really easy though.

Satch12879

Using a PCB is MUCH easier than doing pad per hole construction.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Pushtone

Quote from: Satch12879 on June 30, 2006, 05:58:34 PM
Using a PCB is MUCH easier than doing pad per hole construction.

Seconded. Much easier.

I started by buying PCBs from www.generalguitargadgets.com and www.tonepad.com
Perfect for building a few pedals.
If you get addicted to building then you will want to start etching your own.

Here are Tonepad's handy instructions.
http://tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=10&sequenceNo=1
and
http://tonepad.com/photoessay.asp?photoEssayID=11&sequenceNo=1

Your next question will probably be about the difference between using PnP or Glossy Photo paper.
Make a hard thing easier by just getting some PnP from Smallbear Electronics.
Then you'll be churning out the PCBs like these...
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Pushtone

Don't forget that if you etch your own instead of buying some (or a complete kit) you will
also have to drill it which can be a real pain if you don't have a drill press.

Making your own adds three steps to your project that you can skip by buying boards...
1. Layout transfer
2. Etching
3. Drilling

Oh did I mention the dust created from drilling is just like asbestos.
See my wet drill link about that.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44440.0
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith