Tone Controls and Diode Clippers

Started by amz-fx, June 29, 2006, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

Two new articles in the AMZ Lab Notebook;  Tone Clippers and the Double Tone. Check it out!

http://www.muzique.com/lab/main.htm

regards, Jack

MartyMart

Great articles jack, thanks a million ... I can see a few enclosures getting "opened up" !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

burnt fingers

you're the man Jack.  I was planning on making a new distortion and wanted to do some different things with it. From my brainwaves to your ears.  Thanks man.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

tommy.genes

Hey, that's cool!  8)

And to think that a technique as mature as diode clipping still has some room for exploration...

I'm looking forward to hearing what other people come up with using these ideas. I'm actually looking forward to trying them myself, but knowing how slowly DIY pedal projects move for me, I'm guessing others will have designed circuits, breadborded them, refined them, built them on custom-etched PCBs, housed them in beutiful etched and swirl-painted boxes, gone into full production and distribution, gotten rich and retired before I even get to pick up my first diode.

Not that I'm complaining...

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Xavier

The clipping article has opened the can of worms in my brain. Why did you do it?

Separate clipping sections.....imagine what you can do with a farty bass dist like the rat. You can have silky smooth high notes and hammer-like palm mutes at the same time. We'll see a lot of designs in the near future using the ideas of this fantastic article.

Thanks for sharing, Jack

el84

Your ideas are all very interesting ! :icon_razz:
(You know ..... I love your TubeDriver  ;D  )

Antonello

WGTP

Very cool stuff.  Of course most of you have already thought that one of the op amps could be made into a TS type distortion, to be mixed with the Dist+ type.   :icon_cool:

Don't forget to try Mosfet clippers.    :icon_twisted:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

H S

amz-fx

Thanks for all the comments!

regards, Jack

phaeton

The Irony!

This last couple of weeks I've been scribbling out tone-divided clippers like that, some with their own gain setups, some not.

Nice to see how the 'pros' do it.  :icon_mrgreen:
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

markm

Once again,
A wealth of info for us Jack.
Thanks Very much,
   MarkM

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter