New Effect: Payback

Started by The Tone God, June 30, 2006, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

I've made a soundclip of the quality I get when I have it on the breadboard. Can anyone confirm this is the actual soundquality?

You can hear the clip here:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/toomuchgear/music/

The 'clean' parts are a clean guitar looped via my DD20. The 'not-so-clean' parts are looped by the Payback.

Valoosj

Isn't your recording volume too high? I read something about it with the lo fi loop junky...
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

I don't think so. I have this level of distortion with the rec level high and with the level low. The difference in volume in the clip is caused by me adjusting the playbacklevel-pot.

Auke Haarsma

Well, I rechecked after your comment. It appears the playback level and the recording level interact. If I record with playback level at max and recording level at 'normal' I get a lot of clipping. If I lower the playback level while recording I get a cleaner sound.

However, it doesn't get much cleaner than the first sample of the clip. Then again, it's a lofi-looper.

And it doesn't loop btw, just one playback and then it stops.

Valoosj

then you must be doing something wrong :) which is good, since then there is room for improvement.

Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

yeah, could very well be the case. I can trigger playback by touching ground anywhere with my hand. The logic seems very sensitive. I guess it works as designed when boxed.

Valoosj

Do you keep it grounded? If not that might be why it only plays back once

Valoosj

Ok, I had a go at making a pcb. Could somebody help me find any errors?

Just say which component is wrong, and how it should be, I still have the file in layout creator.

The Tone God

Just an update. I noticed that Digikey is not stocking any of the ISD1600Bs now. Trouble is brewing.

Andrew

Valoosj

Indeed. I received an email from them one week after I got my ICs in. But I think they can be found at other places.

Valoosj

Schematic has been checked by Auke Haarsma, I edited according to his instruction, I think this should be it now.

Valoosj

CRAP!  Gate 10 of the ISD needs to get his 5V. I forgot this on the schematic. Errors keep popping up!
Any body else that spots something?

Valoosj

Last time (I hope). Now it should be correct.

Valoosj

I just finished soldering, something is wrong. I hook up the power to the pedal, the led goes on, and after 20 seconds it goes out. Pushing the record/play button doesn't change the status of the led.

Valoosj

Tonegod, are you still there? I sent you some PMs, with the layout and a vid of what is going wrong. Apparently it's a grounding problem of some kind, but I can't find out what went wrong. I did everything I normally do.

cloudscapes

appologies for the necro-bump. I've been having trouble with this build I've partially breadboarded. I'm doing v1.1.
http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/payback_v11/payback_v11.html

I haven't done any of the opamp buffer parts. for now, I'm just doing the recording and looping logic. started with the recorder, and by grounding pin 2, I succeeded in making it record a short clip, and grounding pin 2 to play it back! with that part of the circuit working, I put it aside and did the 4093 logic. unfortunatelly when I hooked it up, it doesn't work anymore. the record led blinks rapidly for half a second (shorter duration and more rapidly than normal record blinkage) and the led around the 14093 stays on at all times when I have power hooked on.

I couldn't find a place in town that had 4093's so I got 14093's instead, which as far as I can tell are the same thing. is this a problem? you should consider me a total noob at logic switching with these types of components.

I noticed the tone god's post about mislabeled pins
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=65575.0
but I'm really confused.  :-[
I've found datasheets for both the 4093 and 14093 and neither of them are the same pinouts, and as far as I can tell neither of them would "support" tone god's advice to switch pins 8 and 10, and 4 and 6. if I did either of these, it seems like the layout diagram would change "logic" in the v1.1 circuit.

http://ece-www.colorado.edu/~ecen4618/cd4093b.gif
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/11974/ONSEMI/MC14093.html

what should I assume to be true? the pin number swap, or the little pictures representing each of the four triggers, regardless of the pinout?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

The Tone God

The diagram symbols are correct. Its the pin numbers on the symbols that were messed up. So match the symbols to you datasheet and adjust from there.

Andrew

cloudscapes

alright, thanks!
I matched the symbols and it know works. thank you muchly!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

Valoosj

Does your payback work? I spent about a year trying to get it to work, but it never fully did.

kierc

Where can I get this ISD? would love to build this  :(