Transistor Article

Started by AzzR, July 01, 2006, 08:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzzR

Found this article in an old electronics magazine I have. Its all about how Transistors work, How they are made and what they do.

The link is avaliable here http://haggardfx.com/forum/index.php?topic=54.0

You dont have to sign up to access it.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

BDuguay

Hey thanks for that!
A former co-worker of mine joked one day about what's inside electronic componenets. He said it's magic blue smoke. Playing along, I asked what he meant by that. He said " the blue smoke has to be magic because every time a component loses its smoke, it doesn't work anymore".
He's right you know?

oldrocker

Thanks for the nice article.  It really explains in a simple way how transistors do what they do and how a transistor takes the place of the tubes.  The part about the holes and electrons was never put to me that way before.  Especially describing the theatre seats and how the electrons and holes move to create an electric current within a tranny.  Pretty cool. 

Leviathan

Quote from: BDuguay on July 01, 2006, 09:06:48 AM
Hey thanks for that!
A former co-worker of mine joked one day about what's inside electronic componenets. He said it's magic blue smoke. Playing along, I asked what he meant by that. He said " the blue smoke has to be magic because every time a component loses its smoke, it doesn't work anymore".
He's right you know?

HAHA thats great  ;D

Dream, that article was an amazing help to me! Thanks

AzzR

Dream, that article was an amazing help to me! Thanks

Thats OK, I was reading it and it helped me out too, so I though I would post it.

-Dream
A Broken Clock Is Right Twice A Day

markm

Really good read!
Thanks very much.

comfortably_numb

Great article.  Is there anything out there that sheds some more light on biasing transistors (and why) and how resistors and capacitors around the transistors effect them.  I'm looking for something like the "Cooking Your Own Distortion" article at GGG, which thoroughly explains the use of Op-Amps in distortion devices and the gain, spectrum, and clipping options available with them.

Seljer

Noplasticrobots

DreamSeller, your link doesn't appear to be working.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

adds2one

DreamSeller could you post an updated link that works. Thanks.  :icon_smile:

Leviathan

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on July 03, 2006, 10:23:11 AM
DreamSeller, your link doesn't appear to be working.

The link worked fine for me...
When you click the link it takes you to another forum where you click another link, and that works fine.

adds2one

Thanks, I think that haggardfx was down for a few hours yesterday.

Noplasticrobots

Quote from: comfortably_numb on July 02, 2006, 10:35:01 AM
Is there anything out there that sheds some more light on biasing transistors (and why) and how resistors and capacitors around the transistors effect them.  I'm looking for something like the "Cooking Your Own Distortion" article at GGG, which thoroughly explains the use of Op-Amps in distortion devices and the gain, spectrum, and clipping options available with them.

I'd love to see something like that based solely at building discrete guitar effects.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.