FEELING BRAVE ???

Started by Dragonfly, July 03, 2006, 01:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Heres a perfboard layout for the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff...i chose to do the triangle knob version, and have included some "mod" possibilities. I have yet to verify it, but i did check through it and it looks to be ok.

I'm also including the PCB version and PCB artwork, though you'll have to resize it....

AC

<see below for corrected version>

markm

I spy bancika's software.....
It's GREAT isn't it??
Real nice job Mr. Dragonfly, looks real good.
I have to compliment you here in Public, I've built about 5 of your own designs and been damn impressed with every one of 'em
so far, please keep them coming!!
   MarkM

Dragonfly

Quote from: markm on July 03, 2006, 01:38:27 AM
I spy bancika's software.....
It's GREAT isn't it??

yeah, he did a great job designing it...there are a few "small" things i'd change, but overall its a great tool...

I have to compliment you here in Public, I've built about 5 of your own designs and been damn impressed with every one of 'em
so far, please keep them coming!!
   MarkM

aww, shucks  :icon_redface:

i enjoy doing these layouts, and if they help someone else, thats great ! it's my way of attempting to "give back" to the forum for all that i've learned here...
AC

Connoisseur of Distortion

i done built a Big Muff, but on vero.

must confess, perf beats the crap out of vero... soooo much neater/smaller!

plus, available!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortion on July 03, 2006, 02:34:36 AM
i done built a Big Muff, but on vero.

must confess, perf beats the crap out of vero... soooo much neater/smaller!

plus, available!

i love vero...i do like perf too...the big muff is one of those builds that is MUCH easier to do by etching a pcb, but i figured some people might still like a perfboard layout for it...

AC

gaussmarkov

nice, AC!  small suggestion just after a quick look:  how about simplifying that trace that connects Q2, D1, D2, R10, & R8?

cheers, gm

Cliff Schecht

I really should start posting the layouts I do, I know somebody else would get a use out of them. I normally make them fit well into either a Hammond 1590 BB or B. I did a great layout for the Insanity pedal as well as a few other random things. I'll have to dig em up soon.

geertjacobs

Isn't it possible to shorten the path/trace from D2 to R10?
<edit>
Great layout BTW, i've been wanting to build a BM for a long time and this seems great for perfing it.

RedHouse

Traces seem a bit thin, is this adjustable in the design software?

gaussmarkov

ac,

i am guessing that you are using this schematic.  it matches up pretty well parts-wise.

i put that schematic into eagle and then tried to redo your layout in the ealge layout editor.  it keeps track of all the components and their connections from the schematic.  as long as i got the schematic right, i should be able to get your layout to work.  it's virtually as good as building the circuit to verify it.  in some ways it's better.   :icon_biggrin:

if that is the schem, then i am confident that three components are missing:  the paralell resistor (390K) and capacitor (560pF) for Q2 and the 100K resistor from the base of Q4 to GND.

best wishes, gm

Dragonfly

Quote from: gaussmarkov on July 03, 2006, 09:48:24 AM
ac,

i am guessing that you are using this schematic.  it matches up pretty well parts-wise.

i put that schematic into eagle and then tried to redo your layout in the ealge layout editor.  it keeps track of all the components and their connections from the schematic.  as long as i got the schematic right, i should be able to get your layout to work.  it's virtually as good as building the circuit to verify it.  in some ways it's better.   :icon_biggrin:

if that is the schem, then i am confident that three components are missing:  the paralell resistor (390K) and capacitor (560pF) for Q2 and the 100K resistor from the base of Q4 to GND.

best wishes, gm

gauss...youre absolutely correct...i need to make those corrections....late night layouts :)
i'll get on those asap...

till then....everyone hold off on building this.....

AC

gaussmarkov

hi,

here's some output from my work on this.  if i have made a mistake, i apologize for leading the thread astray.  :icon_biggrin:  it happens. :icon_confused:

this is the image of the schematic that i put into eagle, based on the file i referenced above.  if i have made a mistake, it's somewhere in there.

here is my reproduction of your layout.  the confirmed parts are in solid blue.  i made some minor changes that are just style and were convenient for me.  i decided not to match up the component references just to save time and because there isn't much disagreement.

the components at the bottom are the ones that i think may be missing.  the lines show how eagle would hook them up based on the schematic.

also, i think there may be a problem aroiund my R23/your R17.  i have not hooked this up and just show where my schematic says the connections should go.  they aren't the same as the ones on your layout.  it look like you need to run a trace from the west lead of your C9 to the east lead of your R16 and then switch the connections for your R17 so that the west lead goes to ground and the east lead connects to the east lead of your C9.

like i said, i hope i have this right.   if i don't, i hope my mistakes are easy to find. :icon_biggrin:  best wishes, gm

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 03, 2006, 10:37:16 AM
gauss...youre absolutely correct...i need to make those corrections....late night layouts :)
i'll get on those asap...

till then....everyone hold off on building this.....

AC

whoa ... seconds apart ... i hope you get the second post before going after corrections.

gaussmarkov

another quickie ... i was just staring at the upper left-hand corner ...  here's a suggestion for reordering the components that you have there that simplifies things a little.  you can move some other stuff over with the space created and keep D1 and D2 spaced like D3 and D4.

Dragonfly

n/p

Satch12879

Bravo! I was planning on doing a perfboard version but haven't had the time to lay one out.

Many, many thanks!!!
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

gaussmarkov

Quote from: gaussmarkov on July 03, 2006, 10:38:05 AM
it looks like you need to run a trace from the west lead of your C9 to the east lead of your R16

i am pretty sure about this correction.  right now C9 is hooked up to the wrong end of R16.

a 2N5088 has a CBE pinout.  on the schem, the .004uF cap (that's C9) hooks up to the collector
of Q3.  on the latest version, C9 is hooked up to the base of Q3.  running the trace from the west
end of C9 to the east end of R16 makes it right. :icon_biggrin:

all the best, gm

Dragonfly

here's the new (and hopefully final) corrected version   thanks Gauss, for your assistance in checking this ! (we'll have to do more in the future !)

sta63bmx

Why do you guys spend all the time and effort making layouts for everyone to use?  I am just really humbled by all the people who do that.  First of all, I can't do that.  I can only follow instructions and build stuff from a layout.  But a lot of people put in the time and effort to do it and then post them so everybody can have them.  I am really grateful to everyone who puts forth the effort to do stuff like that, because it lets me build anything I really want.  Thank you very much; I really appreciate it.

Dragonfly

Quote from: sta63bmx on July 05, 2006, 01:07:28 PM
Why do you guys spend all the time and effort making layouts for everyone to use?  I am just really humbled by all the people who do that.  First of all, I can't do that.  I can only follow instructions and build stuff from a layout.  But a lot of people put in the time and effort to do it and then post them so everybody can have them.  I am really grateful to everyone who puts forth the effort to do stuff like that, because it lets me build anything I really want.  Thank you very much; I really appreciate it.

you're MORE than welcome...

i do it for a few reasons....

1) it's a good way to "pay back" all the great people here who give their knowledge so freely.

2) it's FUN (once you get the hang of it ) :)

3) i like a challenge

4) Occasionally i even want to "build" the effect I'm laying out

5) doing layouts helps you "understand" the circuit better

6) it's FUN ! 

7) did i mention that it's FUN ?

you should go to bancika's website and download his layout program...it's quite clever, and is easy to use...start with a "simple" pedal, like a EH LPB-1 and practice "laying it out" in various ways, till you get the hang of making a small, efficient layout.

my goal with the triangle knob Big Muff was to make a perfboard layout that was as small as possible, so i could build/mod it for personal use...i just thought that others might be able to make use of the layout as well...

AC

ps...there are tons more layouts in the "Gallery" (including in "my" folder), which is listed at the top of this page....