GGG Tube Driver

Started by Samy, July 03, 2006, 08:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samy

I´ve build a TubeDriver from GGG and i have a huge amount of hummm !
I´ve tried shield wire, i´ve tried moving the valve socket far away from the pcb i´ve tried DC for heaters and there´s no change in "hummm" noise !  ???
The GGG layout it´s wrong in some places, the led cannot be used that way with AC Voltage, Volume and Gain pots are working backwards, signal wires are too close from AC wires on the pcb and that can be a problem ! The humm appears when the gain it´s more than 50%, with the gain lower that that, the humm it´s very very low or not present.
I´ve tried several 12AX7 Valves and the noise remains ...
I´m tired of fooling around trying to debug this ! Nothing that i do seems to work !

Any tip ?
I´m thinking seriously thrashing this pcb and build a new one with a new layout that i found around here ...

mikey

did you notice the...

Please Note: this project has some problems with noise, build it at your own risk. Update to fix the problem coming soon, we hope.

...at the top of the project page at GGG?

You're probably better off with a different layout.

mac dillard

E-Mail communication with J.D. just last week and he told me that he was in the process of up datiing the Tube Drive PCB and lay out. Asked me to wait before building it.

Samy

No, i didn´t notice that !  ???
The sound it´s quite good, but i can´t push the Gain pot too much ... too bad !

I have a different pcb, i got it from here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44779.0 , can anyone tell me if it´s all ok with this ?

Thanks.

Ardric

C3 is wrong in GGG's schematic, as I wrote in the thread linked above.  Try moving the + end of C3 to the opamp and see if that helps.  All the layouts I've seen have this error, because it's in the original schematic.

Samy

I´ve finished the Tube Driver, the pcb that i used is OK, much better than the GGG´s layout !
I only have some noise with gain and vol. at max. with a 12AX7, i believe if i change for a 12AT7 i don´t have that problem.

It´s a nice pedal !