Folk Fuzz Layout NEW!! but old............

Started by markm, July 06, 2006, 02:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

I just did this layout, etched a board for it, populated it and got it to fire right up.
THIS Layout although the "old" Folk Fuzz circuit, is verified and works fine.....PLUS, it sounds fabulous.
I've labored enough for the time being on the 3.5% version, I think I may have found the error in the board although I cannot be sure if that is the problem or if there is perhaps an error in the schem that was posted here.
Chances are my 3.5% layout is the problem as I am a Rookie at doing layouts!
Anyway, this one below works and like I said, sound Excellento!!

This is the circuit that is providing the soundclips I am told on the fok fuzz 3.5% post from the last couple of days.
Build it, enjoy it and Congratulate me please on the fact that this is the most complicated layout I have made from a schematic thus far and after some real dismal failures, I could use some encouragement!!
I will be posting this layout along with a PNP transfer in my layouts section so, stay tuned.
I will also be working on a layout using the Eagle program courtesy of gaussmarkov: diy fx.
Thanks again gm for your help!!!!!
newbiebuilder...........Build this one!!!  :)
   MarkM

newbie builder

Sweet! Parts on the way- it'll be the first thing I build when they show up! Thanks for the layout- looks great!
//

Tubebass

Does it matter whether the transistors used as clipping diodes are leaky?
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

petemoore

I would socket and test for that...
  If the diode is *gone, they won't clip, leakage otherwise probably doesn't matter for use as a diode...*if it's a diode.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

Yeah, I thinking about trying some germs in the clipping section although, it does sound excellent as is.
I guess I'm just still pretty happy about the fact that it worked!!!!  :icon_redface:
My reading at GEO and AMZ as well as here is starting to pay off a bit.
I'm itching to do another layout now!!!!!!!!!

newbie builder

Any descriptions of the sounds it's making? I know I've listened to the clips plenty, I was just wondering what you thought it sounded like i.e. big thick or thing raspy or etc. etc. etc.
Feel like another layout...3,5%! haha...couldn't help myself.
//

markm

Quote from: newbie builder on July 06, 2006, 08:07:20 PM
Feel like another layout...3,5%! haha...couldn't help myself.
:-\
Don't be surprised to see that 3.5% layout turn up soon.
I think I know what the problem is.
Look under C4......there's a solid trace there that shouldn't be.  :icon_redface:
I'll fix that soon and repost it.
Well, to me the sound of the Folk Fuzz I built sounds Very much like the samples.
Kind of a Raspy OD tone more than a FUZZ ya know?
I like the sound as it's kind of Fender Amp breakup sounding to me. Quite Bluesy.
Near as I can tell, the difference between the two is the 3.5 has a treble control and a couple of the component values are
different and maybe an extra resistor or two.
I don't think the treble control is really neccessary as it does not have a real piercing tone.
It has bite and plenty of it but no ice pick highs.
I did notice that even when chording through it, there is noticable string seperation and some "jangle" in there too.
Quite a useful and nice sounding circuit i think and all readily available parts too!
I need to etch a box for it now!!!

rhys

I perfed the 3.5% with the treble control and used the transistors recommended in BJF's schem (got em through mouser).  With the Fuzz control from say 2 or 3 o'clock to 5 it gets very thick and fuzzy, but it does sound more ODish on lower fuzz settings.

The treble control is pretty simple--it's just bleeding off some highs through a .022uf cap at the output.  I think it's worth having the treble control on there.

I would like to try some different trannys though.

markm

Some different trannies are on my agenda too.
The 3.5% version kicked my butt for some reason.   >:(
I'm going to re-do it at some point.

petemoore

Where is it that the sound clips can be heard ?

markm

petemoore

petemoore

Sounds alot like Stevies guitar, all pumped up after a workout...muscular.

markm

Yeah, yaknow it struck me as very Bluesy sounding which is what I was looking for.
It's like a raspy blues tone ala SRV.
Very useful for Country on lower gain settings.

newbie builder

That was how Bjorn named it...."Folk beer" is a very cheap beer in the country he lives in (sweden?) that teenagers get drunk off and is notorious for being a very week beer- not too strong. The Folk fuzz is his take on a fuzz that's not so powerfull as say his candy apple fuzz (if you go to musictoyz.com and listen to the soundclips you'll know what I mean)
//

petemoore

A bit less...*Newbie Builder* than yesterday  :icon_biggrin:
  Now that you've mentioned the Candy Apple Fuzz...my curiosity is up again...any info's on that one???

newbie builder

The Candy Apple is his take on a big raw crazy sounding 60's fuzz but there's no schem for it- it's one of the pedals he makes for a living and fully goops.
//

petemoore

Wow...A1!! The Ge's in Q's 1 and 2, judgeing by the sound, seem to like the bias arrangement. I noticed no 'drift after a long input hammering session.
  Turning the diodes 1/4 turn in the sockets sure helped  :-[, it distorts without the diode clipping.
  Played for an hour and had big smile the whole time. Quite the useful and versatile sounding box to have on the pedalboard ! Works very well for me as main Fuzz 'downstream', with other effects Pre to the Folk Fuzz.
  Gets high marks in the 'descriptive' dept., seemed especially adept at dealing with higher voltage inputs, response to dynamics I like...very fun to play circuit...low parts count, high versatility.
  Hammering the input with Boosted signals, got a very cool ducking tone.
  I have a RACO bottom screwed to the little board, the Folk Fuzz has to go there.