Tone Knob for Red LLama

Started by csmatt45, July 07, 2006, 03:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmatt45

Hello,

Would the "big muff" tone stack on dragonfly's gallery be a good one to tag onto the output of the red llama? Could i leave the values as they are?

thanks!

matt

Peter Snowberg

I'm answering this without looking at either circuit, but I can say in general that it would probably work just great.

The muff tone control will eat some of the signal, however I'll bet there's plenty of signal left over. My biggest question would be how the volume control at the end of the Llama interacts with the tone control. You may have to change the value of the volume pot (make it larger), or perhaps add a simple transistor buffer after the tone control so that it isn't loaded down too much.

Prototype it up and see what you get. If it doesn't work the way you want right off the bat, I'm sure a couple more components will tweak things into shape.  :icon_biggrin:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mark Hammer

4049-based circuits tend to be more for grunt/growl distortion, rather than buzz-saw distortion.  My gut feeling is that the BMP-style tone control may just disappoint at the treble end because there might not be enough mids and treble to actually have much volume.  That's just a guess, though.

stumper1

I agree with Mark - I tried a couple of versions of the BigMuff TC on the 3 Legged Dog and was unimpressed.  Tried Mark's SWTC and it works perfect with that circuit.

Good Luck
Deric®

Morocotopo

I´m just about to etch a PCB for a red llama, and I came up with this, taken from some amp sim circuit (I think one of Runoffgroove´s), since I also want a tone control for it (fear of too much treble...I like things creamy and humbuckery :icon_mrgreen:)
I believe it´s  a simple cut control that rolls off highs. Not tested yet, will do when I build the circuit, I expect to have to tweak cap and pot values. Anyone knows if it will work at all? hope it´s useful to you.

Morocotopo

Morocotopo

Peter Snowberg

That is the same tone control you'll find in just about every guitar. You are correct, it works by shunting the higher frequencies to ground.

As long as you don't mind playing with the pot value, taper, and cap size, you can probably get what you're looking for. The big muff tone control fades between a filter much like this one (& set to max cut) and one with the inverse response. It's all in the combination of your guitar, amp, component values, and your preferences. :icon_biggrin:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Stephen

You will need a rather large cap....,.22uf or ....,.47uf to have a distinct dramatic change in tone...

I use a .22 with a 10k to ground. rather works more like a filter....very little but noticabe tone change!!!!

Will remove squel and will clean up the tone a little, but not a very dramatic tone pot!!!

csmatt45

hmmm...It seems you guys got the impression that I wanted to shave off some highs. That's not the case at all. I actually found the pedal to be a bit darker than I'm used to (not in a bad way). I've usaully been an MXR, TS-9, into a fender amp via a strat, guy. As you could guess, I love a nice cutting jolt of treble. I don't mind the darker sound of the llama, and I don't want to start messing with input-caps and such, I like a "clone" to sound like it's clone. I actually don't even have to have a tone control I guess, just a way to pull a bit of the mids (a switch maybe?) off. Not at all a "scooped" mids metal sound. I just like to be able to pull off a bit of mids since my trusty tremolux only has bass and treble controls. The llama really has me hooked though, I've never heard an od like it.

any easy way to have the option to knock off some mids? I'm all ears.

thanks either way for answering my post!

matt

Mark Hammer

The Superfuzz/FY-2 midscoop is what you want, although you may want to tinker with values to tune it to your taste.  This can be made variable to tune the mids in or out to taste.  See the Hot Harmonics thread for more info.

Mr.Huge

If you don't want the horrible effect of a tone control on a good OD circuit... (I really don't like them)...
Adjust the 2 coupling caps. The input on a Llama is .068uF and the second stage is a .033uF. I would suggest lowering the input and raising the second stage. Maybe try .022uF on the input and .068uF, .047uF or even .1uF on the second stage. This may or may not effect the mids in a good way... Just pullin' ideas outta my ass!
-Mr. Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.