Strange capacitor ID help.

Started by skiraly017, July 09, 2006, 04:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I've never seen caps like these before. They look like they're encased in plastic and the only visible markings are "10000J" and "50v". I know the value but not the brand. Any ideas? Thanks.

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

mikey

Looks like polystyrene caps.  No idea what brand.

$uperpuma

yeah they are polystyrene you can get some values at Mouser.. but the bag doesn't list a brand...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Peter Snowberg

Polystyrene caps are the creme-de-la-creme of film caps. :icon_biggrin:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jonathan perez

i agree. ive got a few of those somewhere...ive got better ones, that are longer. not too sure of the make, but definitely sound wonderful.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

jonathan perez

i totally just realized thats an area51 wah. man im dumb! hahah what inductor is that??

i worked closely with dan, and he wouldnt tell me where he got those caps from, just that theyre NOS.

R.G.

New old stock POLYSTYRENE????

Gratuitous advertising makes me nuts. Polystyrene is valuable for precision caps precisely because it DOESN'T age to any measurable degree. There's no magic mojo goodness associated with polystyrene caps. And modern ones are made like the old ones. Metalized polystyrene film hasn't had its manufacturing process modified beyond recognitiion by progress.

I take that back. There is no measurable difference between yesterday's polystyrene caps (yesterday being the late 60's when they first came into use) and today's unless the human mind puts them there by placebo effect. But it does allow you to truthfully use the term "NOS" in your advertising.

OK, I feel better now. I guess my visceral reaction to the ... um... liberties that advertising makes with the language is inappropriate.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: R.G. on July 10, 2006, 10:51:20 AM
New old stock POLYSTYRENE????

Gratuitous advertising makes me nuts. Polystyrene is valuable for precision caps precisely because it DOESN'T age to any measurable degree. There's no magic mojo goodness associated with polystyrene caps. And modern ones are made like the old ones. Metalized polystyrene film hasn't had its manufacturing process modified beyond recognitiion by progress.

I take that back. There is no measurable difference between yesterday's polystyrene caps (yesterday being the late 60's when they first came into use) and today's unless the human mind puts them there by placebo effect. But it does allow you to truthfully use the term "NOS" in your advertising.

OK, I feel better now. I guess my visceral reaction to the ... um... liberties that advertising makes with the language is inappropriate.

Thanks for saving me the rant. ;)
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jonathan perez

good call, RG!

man i hate mojo...hahaha