dc jack wiring question

Started by lldrew, July 10, 2006, 12:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lldrew

On the tonepad offboard wiring for a DC jack and battery snap can I just take the battery snap out of the equation and just connect the wire from the DC jack where the positive wire of the battery snap goes and connect a wire from that lug and the ring of the input jack?

mikey

If I understand you correctly you shouldnt wire the +9v lug of the DC jack to the input jack.  It should be run to the +9v on the PCB.

If you're going off this

http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76

Take a look at the second diagram.  Just leave out the battery snap wires.

lldrew

so you dont have to connect that lug of the DC jack to the ring lug of the input jack?  I'm confused.  the positive battery snap goes to that middle lug of the dc jack and the negative lead of the battery snap goes to the ring lug of the input jack.  Are you sure you couldn't just connect a wire from the middle lug of the DC jack to the ring lug of the input jack?

lldrew

mikey

The pink wire is +9v and goes from the positive (+9v) lug of the DC jack to the +9v on the PCB.  The grey wire is for ground and goes from the middle lug of the DC jack to the ring on the input jack to ground the jack.  Then a wire goes from there to the ground on the PCB.

lldrew

so connecting the middle lug of the dc jack to the ring lug of the input jack instead of putting a battery snap in between those two lugs is all I have to do to take the battery snap out of the equation?

mikey

scaesic

Quote from: lldrew on July 10, 2006, 11:45:53 AM
so connecting the middle lug of the dc jack to the ring lug of the input jack instead of putting a battery snap in between those two lugs is all I have to do to take the battery snap out of the equation?

attaching the -ve (black) of the battery snap is just a trick to turn the battery on/off when a guitar is plugged in or not. Its just a way of saving the life of a battery when no guitar/amp is connected to it. you dont need that trick for a dc input socket.