Transistor uses

Started by KerryF, July 10, 2006, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KerryF

Hey.  Can someone give me a website that has a diagram, or may help tell me what value transistors can do what.  For example, a 2N7000 gives a lot of gain.  Now I need a list, chart, website, or something to give me that information for a bunch of transistors.

R.G.

I wish I had better news for you.

The same transistor can give any gain from zero up to some unspecified maximum. What is connected around the transistor matters a lot more than the transistor type. Beyond that, the same transistor type number has a variation of between 3:1 and 10:1 in its major parameters from device to device. Beyond that, the same individual transistor varies in gain with current and temperature.

A lot of circuit design instruction is spent on how to design around these variations.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

davebungo

Not a simple request.
Compiling your own list would probably be easier and more informative i.e. look through as many schematics as possible and note what kind of transistors are used where and for what purpose - don't spend too long analysing each circuit, just try to build up a general picture.  I think you would be surprised at how few transistors there are used in the vast majority of designs.  OK, some of the mass produced pedals may use more obscure parts, but don't let that phase you too much.  Also, download the pdf's for the more common parts or ones which strike you as interesting and get them printed out and put into a file so you can leaf through.  I think this would help you more than a pre-compiled list even if such a thing were already available.

KerryF

Ok thanks guys.  Yea it wasnt a very easy question to answer.  I found two websites which help a little bit:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/tran.htm (At the chart)
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/fuzzface/fffram.htm (Under "What Sounds Good There")