Fuzz face volume pot / brightness

Started by sfr, July 11, 2006, 09:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

I have an old Fuzz Face I picked up in the early/mid-90's for 10 dollars in the discount bin at the music store.  I think it's one of the Crest Audio era ones? It's got BC109s, it's blue, it has the "Dallas-Arbiter-England" on a sticker in the "smile".  No dates on the pots, one of which oddly enough says "Mouser" on it, like the pots I have from them now, although it appears to be stock.  (The pots, like the jacks seem to be glued to the chassis somewhat)

I use it in the studio for certain sounds, but have never been completely happy with it enough to play with it live.  (For one thing, it's doesn't play nice with any other pedals in the signal chain, I can only get the "good sounds" out of it when it's the only thing between me and the amp.  It also seems to sound best through my solid-state amps, oddly enough.) 

Regardless, I've been digging it out again lately, and getting into it again.  I've begun reading all the various articles out there about it on the web at Geofex and other places.  I figure eventually I'll just throw a new board in this funky enclosure.  But one thing I've noticed that has me questioning is the fact that the volume pot is a 100k linear pot, where as every schematic I've seen is a 500K log pot.   So my only question, is this volume control apt. to be like a guitar, in that if I switch out to something higher value, I'll get a "brighter" sound out of it?  Because that's something I could use.

sent from my orbital space station.