Completely Lost.... Please help.

Started by Scott01, July 12, 2006, 06:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott01

Ok, well I am doing systems & technology as a subject in year 11 at school and for this semester we are to free to select something to build for ourselves, so I thought I'd make something that is useful to me. I play bass guitar and I was wanting to know if someone can point me in the direction of where to get started on making an FX pedal/stompbox for bass.

I have never used an FX pedal before, let alone create one from scratch so I need some serious help please. I want to make a simple distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal that I'll be happy to mess about with (just for fun, I most likely wont be performing with it). I have some experience in electronics/soldering/circuitry/PCB's etc. but I have absolutely zero experience with guitar/bass effects pedals. I was looking at the AMZ Overdrive stompbox by Jack Orman, I found the layout/schematic here:
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=20

Can anyone help me out with this project, or point me in the direction of a more appropriate project? The timeframe I have to build this project and write up a test/report/analysis is 11 weeks from now, will I be able to complete it by then?

Some other things I've had trouble with this layout/schematic is that the component list isnt extremely detailed (e.g it doesnt state what kind of capacitors are to be used) and for the past 5 years I've practically built everything in electronics step-by-step from some really simple electronics kits.
So I was wondering, what kind of capacitors it actually uses, and is the input/output jacks need to be stero or can I just use mono ones?

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Edit: Also, what components and their values will need to be changed for the guitar effects to work effectively for a bass guitar?

Scott01

I read the FAQ and found that I need stereo for input, mono for output and the FAQ mentions capacitors and what kind I need, but Im a bit confused still...

Also, with the schematic it says that the non-pcb part are left off the layout... Im lost as to which parts they are  :icon_frown:

MartyMart

Welcome Scott, sounds like you'll have a cool summer !
OK, well the Overdrive Pro is a superb circuit, but may be a bit ambitious for a first build ?
I would suggest you take a look at www.runoffgroove.com  for some great but simpler projects, their
"Tube Reamer" is a little cracker and may be a good one to do as a "warm up" for the Overdrivepro !

Look at the Tonepad board image :
C1 / C2 / C4 / C12 / C13 are all images of small "round cans" these are "electrolytic" caps
All the smaller values can be "Poly" or "Mylar" caps, the very small 270pf cap can be a ceramic type.

Look up top at the DIY FAQ for more info about parts and wiring etc, or type into the search eq "DPDT wiring" or
"Stereo jack socket"   etc
Stereo jacks are used on input to "power" the circuit, by connecting the battery "-"  to the "ring" on the jack, when a plug
is inserted the circuit is powered and powered down when jack plug is removed.
Circuit output only needs a mono socket, for signal and ground.

Read read read, here and at GEO ( top bar above )
Best regards,
Marty
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

MartyMart

"non PCB parts" are just input/output jacks , battery , pots which are listed anyway
IN/OUT on the board image are input jack tip and output jack tip
GND ( ground ) should connect to both jack socket "sleeve" connections and to the box also
unless the jacks sockets are metal/metal box this is usually enough of a ground connection.

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Torchy

I agree with Marty about ROG, my recommendation would be the Flipster.
http://www.runoffgroove.com/flipster.html

Its a simpler build than the AMZ OD, and the ROG site has allyou need to know to build it.

petemoore

I'd go as far as saying start with a 1 gain stage circuit, or...like the first stage of the flipster...on a large perfboard, building testing debugging...one gain stage at a time.
  1 gain stage would be between the 47k and the 100kA 'Vol.' just after the first jfet gain stage, which also includes ITCase a 5k6 and 100k trimpot for bias adjust.
  This Will Give you a Booster for starters, a Flipster for a final product when it's doen !!
  OR pick something else [the Flip is lifted from bass for bass] with a single gain stage, a few parts...just to mess with, debug and see how to bias...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

geertjacobs

As a very first project check the Beginner Project.
Just by reading it, you'll learn a lot.
Also check the FAQ's in the top left corner.

If you start feeling confident do a search for the "bazz fuss". Very simple but great for bass.

The gruntbox from MarkHammer may be worth checking after a while.

bwanasonic

Another low parts count project that would be fun for bass is the Bazz fuss. The diagrams do not include bypass switching, but you may want skip having a switch for your first attempt. You can always add one later. Jack wiring is shown. You could also use it to demonstrate the effects of various diodes on the sound if you socket the diode.

Kerry M

Scott01

Wow thanks for the super fast responses :o Thanks for all the help too, really appreciate it  :icon_biggrin:

Anyway, Thanks for the help ( I can't believe i didnt notice the round symbols on the pcb layout, how stupid i was  :icon_neutral:). I have researched most of the parts in electronics magazines, most parts I can find others that I cant find - my electronics teach said could be replaced by others; such as the 2k pot can supposedly be replaced by a 5k pot which will just be more sensitive (apparently).

Also, with the stereo input for powering the stompbox, do I need to if the circuit contains a 9v battery? does it run off both?
And with the electrolytic cap's, what voltage should I need (if the circuit does use power from the stereo input), is 50v enough?

Edit: Thanks for the suggestions on other projects, I'll look into them later when I get some more spare time  :icon_biggrin:

Scott01

Ok I have the all the electronics together and I tested it today, I was actually expecting it not to work but it does :), just not too great.
I also noticed a few things:
- The settings for Bass, Mid and Treble dont seem to do anything towards the sound - probably because one of the wires broke off the "Mid" pot. Would this be the cause of the EQ. settings to seem non-functional (probably a dumb question)?
I will be soldering the wire back on tomorrow, but I was still wondering if that really is the cause for the EQ settings as I noticed that this is made for guitar however I'm using the distortion kit on a bass, through a bass amp. Will this be a problem? Is there any components on the PCB that I should change the value of to make this distortion work better for bass?

- The sound is a bit high/trebly/scratchy, this is probably also caused by the disconnected wire from the treble potentiometer, yes?

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys  ;)

RaceDriver205

Scott01

The AMZ Overdrive Pro by Jack Orman. (sorry bout all the suggestions, I had already got some of the parts and the pcb made before I asked for help  :-\ I will probably give the flipster and Bazz Fuss ago later  ;))

The Layout and stuff I used for the AMZ Overdrive is found here:
http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=20

I also planned to make a bypass switch which would connect the IN/OUT straight to each other, and at the same time disconnect the battery, that way I could set the distortion the way I liked and have just a pedal to "toggle" it on and off, but I've not had time to figure that part out yet.

RaceDriver205

I think its odd that you were recommended that one. Its for guitar, and even then its very fizzy.
You should build the Flipster, which is designed for bass. But if your happy with it, wiring switches is explained here:
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=76

Scott01

Is there some resistors or diodes that I could change to alter the range of the distortion to fit a bass?

David

If you still have time, you could still build a Bazz Fuss on perf in about 30-45 minutes, and it WILL work for bass.
That's what it was designed for!   :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen:

captntasty

QuoteIs there some resistors or diodes that I could change to alter the range of the distortion to fit a bass?

As for changing the distortion there are most certainly mods that can be done.  As I am not savvy with this circuit I can't say for sure what they might be but can point you in the right direction.  In the .pdf file at Tonepad it lists the circuit blocks that have been used to design the pedal - you might search for info related to those circuits and implement any mods you find into your circuit.  Some key words are "clipping" , "high" and "low/lo" "pass" "filtering" "gain".

You can alter the tone of the circuit at the input and output caps - C1 and C12 respectively.  Increasing cap values will allow more bass - increasing input cap value allows more bass into the circuit, increasing output cap value allows more bass out.
I'm not familiar with the circuit but C6 and/or C7 might play some role in tone, not positive.

Please don't think I'm being a dick when I say use SEARCH... either here or your favorite search engine or at Geo, GeneralGuitarGadgets.com, etc. with regards to specific topics.  This stuff is out there and nobody should be spoonfed.  As this is something you're doing as part of your education, this is even more pertinent - you are expected to educate yourself as to where to find information and implementing that info.  The role of education is to learn how to learn.
The folks here are usually happy to help you suss it all out, but bring something to the table.

OK, I'll hop off my soapbox now.  :icon_wink:

Welcome to the forum and the addiction that is stombox building...  it's like potato chips - you can't build just one!
Peace
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Izzy

I would say go for MXR distortion plus.