Those 'violet' LEDs.....

Started by Bucksears, July 13, 2006, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksears

This has probably been discussed before, but are they really harmful, even with the infrequency they are used and the small amounts of light they throw off?
Does anyone use the violet LEDs in their pedals?

- Buck

jonathan perez

im not sure about anything harmful, but i still use em in a few of mine. i cant really tell all that well if theyre on anymore, but i use em...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

stm

Any source of light can be harmful if it has enough power. That being said, UV (ultra-violet) and BLUE LEDs tend to be more harmful due to the shorter wavelengths that have more energy.

There are two kinds of violet LEDs.  The most common ones are UV ones that operate in the 405 to 395 nm range. These will damage your eyes if you stare at them for long periods and/or at close distance.  The other kind of violet LED is composed of a blue emitter that makes some red pigment or phosphor fluoresce.  Depending on the relative intensities of the blue and red emissions you will get pink or purple.  These are safer as there is no actual UV emission, however you can still damage your eyes if you insist on staring them long enough at short range, as with any light source.

IMHO there should be no problem if you use a 395nm LED on a floor placed pedal and you stare at it from a standing position.  We are talking about a normal LED, not an UV laser LED.   Sunlight also has UV in the 395 nm range and you stare at it all the time, but of course in very shiny places you resort to UV blocking glasses.

If you want to play safe, choose a purple LEDs instead.  A UV LED poses a potential damage issue if *misused*, for instance, if a kid  becomes mesmerized by the UV glowing LED.

waldo041