Electro Harmonix external footswitch?

Started by sfr, July 14, 2006, 10:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

Hey.  I'm looking to purchase, in a few weeks, the Electro Harmonix HOG.  Apparently, the pedal can also use an external foot controller, and from what I've heard, it's a very usefull accessory. 

It says this controller connects with a standard guitar cable - but the thing has six switches.  I'm uncertain how that would work.  Has anyone seen the inside of one of the EH external foot switches?  Apparently the HOG can use the 16 Second Delay or the 2880's footswitches, which look the same.   If it was just a resistor ladder or a simple circuit, I thought I might build one myself, to save a little bit of cash since I'll be spending a lot on the HOG itself, and I have quite a few footswitches and a decent sized enclosure (which seems like the bulk of the cost) kicking around right now with no other plans.

I'm not sure how kosher this is to ask - I know I try to avoid asking for schematics of things that are still in production, I like to support companies like EH.  If anyone feels this is in bad taste, I'm sorry, we can have the post removed.
sent from my orbital space station.

protoplasma

I have the HOG and external foot switch.  I opened it up myself because I was curious, and they do it with a mircocontroller.  If I remember correctly, it was an Atmel ATTINY. 

FWIW, the foot switch can be annoying.  There is a delay (100ms?) from pressing the switch to actually engaging the preset, so you have to hit it early when switching during a song.  It's very annoying, but it's the only option if you want to have multiple presets...