Small 3PDT toggle? Multiple boards in one box.

Started by sfr, July 16, 2006, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfr

Okay, I've got a Dist+ that I really like the sound of.  I've found with an LPB-2 in front, I like that sound too, sometimes.  Also, I don't know what I did differently, but I must be the only person on the planet who feels they need *more* high end out of their Distortion Plus.  So sometimes, I've found I like running the Brian May Treble Booster in front of the Distortion plus as well.  Often I like the boosts on their own.  I don't find that I often need the boosts on after the distortion, so effects order here is mute. 

So, I've been experimenting with the three, and I've been working on cramming them into one box.  Looks like it will work.  I'm mostly planning on doing this as I have a box from my first build (Anderton Tube Sound Fuzz) that's painted, and labelled appropriatly for this project, and it already has holes for two footswitches. 

Anyway, my plan is to route input to a footswitch for bypassing the booster, then to a DPDT switch to select which boost to use, then to the boost board, then to the footswitch for bypassing the distortion, then the distortion board, then to the output.   3PDT for the Distortion bypass, DPDT with Millenium bypass (from the Brian May TB board - used the tonepad layout) to bypass the boosts. 

My only problem - I was originally planning on using a mini DPDT switch to toggle both the in and out off the booster bypass switch between the two different boosters.  However, I started thinking it would be nice to use a Bicolor LED for the boost indicator, so I could see which one was turning on.  Not really vital, but would be neat.  However, this would require one more set of poles to switch which anode was being connected; and the only 3PDT switches I have are the footswitches, which I could probably fit, but wouldn't be able to switch without hitting another one, given the position of my switches.  I have a rotary that might work, but I don't know if I could fit it. 

So the point of my rambling: Has anyone seen a smallish 3PDT toggle switch anywhere?   Any ideas for something that would fit on a smallish board and would let me switch all this with a DPDT? I assume the millenium bypass wouldn't play nice with another wierd switching thing, but I could easily swap the boost bypass for a 3PDT.  Perhaps I could adapt the millenium bypass to switching between the two anodes?  (I can't see how this would work) 
sent from my orbital space station.

sfr

Just remembered the juggler over at geofex - if I can make the board small enough, I should be able to squeeze the CD4053 thingy into my enclosure as well -  (SMD project, perhaps?) like the rest of the boards, resting against the "walls" of my enclosure.  I assume this work for my needs just right? 

The question about the 3PDT still stands, however.
sent from my orbital space station.

petemoore

Smallest I've seen to know where would probably be available at Stewart Macdonald, I have one that came with my pickup.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.